TITLE: Manager of Facilities Engineering
REPORTS TO: Data Centre Manager
Digital Realty operates within a marketplace that is increasingly competitive. Customers can choose between a significant number of competitors delivering high quality, cost efficient alternatives.As one of a handful of global providers, Digital Realty has considerable assets and capabilities, along with a significant installed customer base.
Data Centres are the heart of our business and ensuring continuity of service is crucial for our continued success. Our best-in-class operations drives customer engagement differentiating ourselves in the marketplace and the system platforms plays a vital role in delivering this service.
TheManager of Facilities Engineeringprovides the technical expertise to plan, coordinate and manage the Data Centre’s equipment, systems and infrastructure to ensure operational excellence; with safety and reduction of risk being of paramount importance.
- Plan, implement, coordinate and oversees all mechanical/ electrical operations, maintenance and energy management programmes; ensuring risk is minimised and all works are compliant with safe systems of work
- Take the technical lead in event of emergencies and other incidents
- Acceptance and approval of all works on site including permits to work control
- Act as HV and LV Senior Approved Person
- Part of call out rota
- In charge of toolbox talks and scenario training
- Lead control of Vendors including log books
- Ensure Compliance with record keeping for relevant accreditations
- Involved on a day to day basis with use of financial systems in respect of ordering / cost control and follow up with repairs and remedial works.
Management/ control of works
- Oversee all building systems and critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the raised floor environment including fire/life safety, plumbing, mechanical, bonding, wire ways, and electrical systems and equipment.
- Plan, implement, coordinate and supervise all mechanical/electrical operations, maintenance, and energy management programs for a critical facilities environment.
- Manage, direct, and coordinate the activities of contracted personnel or third parties who are providing services or performing work within the assigned property and ensure all method statements and permits are in order.
- Oversee scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance, and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services.
- Ensure that reactive and preventive maintenance activities are appropriately balanced; monitors current and deferred maintenance backlogs; adjusts priorities and/or resources as needed and ensures that deferred maintenance is adequately documented.
- Recommend/implement improvements to the preventive maintenance program on an on-going basis. Devise technical enhancements to improve various aspects of building operations.
- Recommend what work should be insourced or subcontracted consult with Senior Manager when making decisions on major changes.
- Utilizes maximum capabilities of CMMS control system. Ensures that all appropriate data is entered into the CMMS system in a timely and accurate manner.
- Understand the engineering design and operational aspect of each building system.
- Monitor all allocations of building system capabilities to various base building and tenant needs.
- Act as primary technical resource for Site Engineers, Property Management and various DLR groups.
- Ensure that team receives adequate technical, administrative, scenario and any other training as required with local code
- Coordinate development of and/or maintain as-built drawings.
Safety and Compliance
- Evaluate, assign and monitor the safe work responsibilities and capabilities of employees and contractors; ensure adherence to safety requirements and prescribed procedures, as well as utilization of protective equipment.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory Health and safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with applicable all local codes, government agencies, ISO standards 9001, 14001, 27001, 50001 and all other DLR directives as they relate to building operations
- Coordinate maintenance efforts and build relationships with all critical vendors. Track all vendors’ performance through KPI and regular meetings.
- Maintain ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management.
Emergency response and escalation
- Respond quickly to emergency situations (i.e. fires, evacuation, equipment failure, call outs etc.) and customer concerns and to be available to work outside normal hour, night’s weekend when required.
- To be part of a call out rota as required
Cost control / finances
- Implement and administer inventory control programs/purchase parts and supplies.
- Maintain regular meetings with other DLR departments during any construction or fit out works on site, to ensure there is minimal or no risk to the day to day operations. Once complete ensure works are complete and commissioned in accordance with DLR standards.
- Maintain cost effective and efficient operation of all building systems.
- Understand the budgeting process and work with the DCM and Property Management team on tracking, managing operational and capital project and expenditure.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative, but not exclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the critical nature of this role, the Manager of Facilities Engineering will live within close proximity to site.
Keys to Success:
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university and a minimum of three years of related experience and/or training preferred. In lieu of a BA/BS degree, must have six or more year’s related experience.
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
- Recognized formal electrical training (City and Guilds etc).
- Experience and Knowledge of Operation of Critical Building infrastructure (Electrical, Mechanical and Building Fabric)
AP15 course and experience as an HV Authorised Person
Ability to comprehend, analyse, and interpret complex project documents; AutoCAD, Visio, and PDF documents. Ability to project manage effectively. Ability to develop installation standards and project tracking/management documents. Ability to effectively respond, verbally or written, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective presentations and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. Requires a high level of commitment to customer service, whether co-workers or clients.
Ability to work with and communicate effectively with many groups and disciplines within DLR
- Must be self-driven, well organized and able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with attention to detail
- Strong customer focus
- Reliable, setting high standards of personal commitment
- Cultural fit to organizational values of customers, teamwork, excellence, success, talent.