Who are we?
Equinix is the one of the largest growing Data Centre companies, growing connectivity between clients worldwide. That’s why we're always looking for creative and forward-thinking people who can help us achieve our goal – global interconnection. With over 190 datacentres in over 24 countries spanning across 5 continents, we are home of the Cloud, supporting over 1000 Cloud and IT services companies that are directly engaged in technological innovation and development. We are passionate about further evolving the specific areas of software development, software and network architecture, network operations, and complex cloud and application solutions.
We are more than lawyers protecting Equinix’s interests. We are valued business partners, known as responsive, consistent and proactive. We take customer service seriously and strive for excellence in our execution. Equinix’s dynamic growth trajectory keeps us on our toes and constantly learning. Our strong relationships with our internal clients, fuelled by our solution-driven orientation and creative yet practical advice, bringing us to the table early and often, leads to interesting and rewarding work directly aligned to Equinix’s overall business objectives.
Our global Legal department may span four continents, but we are one team. Working together across borders in support of our shared strategic objectives. We work hard, but we take time to celebrate our accomplishments – both professionally and personally, with a healthy dose of fun thrown in along the way. We look forward to coming to work every day to support Equinix and each other and highly value the “team first” culture we have successfully built. We are proud that our collective effort has led to Equinix One Legal being named as one of the Top Innovative Law Departments in North America by the Financial Times (FT, December 2015).
The position of Legal Counsel, Privacy within the EMEA Legal team will be a representative of the regional Legal team in our Privacy Office and responsible for a variety of corporate law matters related to data privacy and more broadly data security/cyber security. As Legal Counsel, this role will be advising the business on these matters in alignment with corporate and strategic objectives and its corporate risk profile, in a manner that supports the business objectives for the EMEA region.
Principal Job Responsibilities
- Advising on data protection and privacy issues affecting Equinix's business (and, in some cases, data protection issues faced by our customers and our role to play in their own data privacy compliance), in order to support the business strategy and goals of Equinix in EMEA and globally;
- Responsibility for providing day to day support in all EMEA jurisdictions for data privacy and related issues, acting as a key member of the Privacy Office and playing a meaningful role in the ongoing risk management and continued implementation and maintenance of a global privacy program;
- Learning about and becoming an owner of the processes and tools within the Privacy Office that are used to mitigate Equinix’s data privacy risk and manage ongoing compliance, and working with business partners to embed processes and tools in our day to day business activity;
- Investigating, managing and reporting in relation to any data privacy and related issues/queries notified to the Privacy Office;
- Identifying areas of risk within Equinix that do not align with current data privacy policies, processes and developing appropriate solutions to deliver ‘privacy by default and design’ to address non-compliance;
- Training and educating the wider business on data protection procedure and legal risk.
- Developing a collaborative business environment for data privacy compliance within Equinix in EMEA;
- Partnering with other compliance groups, such as in EMEA Operations, to ensure all company policies align with Equinix's data privacy risk profile, and any non-adherence is handled and dealt with appropriately;
- Advising on, facilitating, and resolving any data privacy and/or cyber security related threats to Equinix’s business interests;
- Managing external legal counsel across EMEA when necessary or local law input is required to provide legal support for the variety of business activities;
- Involvement in global One Legal initiatives and project working groups to scale and improve efficiency of the One Legal Department;
- Reporting on matters to the Legal Director in accordance with agreed parameters;
- Undertaking all other activities and participating in projects within the EMEA Legal department, as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & Experience
- Qualified lawyer admitted to practice with relevant experience gained in a commercial organization or legal department
- Some in house experience (either as a full-time role or by way of secondment experience) is desirable
- Experience with working in an international business environment is desirable
- Ability to work fluently in other business languages for Equinix other than English (such as German) is desirable, but not essential
- Strong interpersonal skills with an open and trusting personality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business acumen, problem solving abilities and good judgment
- Developed decision making skills
- Commitment to high standards for work product and deliverables
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and multi-task effectively to manage competing priorities
What we offer
The opportunity to leave your mark in a company that is growing quickly while keeping a ground-breaking spirit. And of course, a competitive salary and great secondary benefits like a defined contribution pension plan, a collective health care plan, annual bonus scheme and annual paid leave.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to know more?
Feel free to contact us when you have any questions regarding the vacancy. You can reach out for Stefaniya Patrikova at Stefaniya.email@example.com