Job Title - Legal Counsel
Department - Legal
Period - FTC until March 2020
Hiring Manager - Director of Legal
Member of collegiate Legal Team, principally servicing BGC Partners & GFI's EMEA and APAC global wholesale brokerage businesses and its associated acquisitions/disposals. Working closely with other M and A lawyer.
This is a visible role with regular interaction with senior business people and management. There is a global dimension to the remit as well as substantial autonomy, ownership and responsibility. The environment is fast paced and the customer base is demanding therefore the role requires a person who is able to deal with pressure, can commit to deadlines and work at a good pace. The contractual hours are 9 am to 6 pm but these are regarded as the minimum working hours.
The primary focus of the role is the Group's M&A work (often cross border) and if this is quieter then its commercial legal/projects work ranging from the routine to complex.
Examples of recent M&A work that the London Legal Team has been involved in include M&A relating to Ed Broking, Besso Group, Sunrise Brokers, Martin Brokers, GFI Partners, Inc., Trayport, and Perimeter Markets Inc.
- M&A - assisting the M&A practice as part of a team but often acting as one of the legal counsel on the transaction with responsibility for driving it forward, due diligence, variety of agreements including heads of terms, confidentiality agreements, SPA and related documents, as well as providing legal assistance to the business for post-acquisition integration. Updates and interaction with the Director of Legal and the General Counsel - EMEA and APAC.
- Commercial -reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements and providing legal advice on business issues. Agreements include a variety of introducing brokerage agreements, netting agreements, terms of business, confidentiality agreements, intra group agreements (loans etc), bank guarantees, clearing, custody and collateral agreements and marketing agreements.
- Projects - advising on corporate projects, which may include new offices, reorganisations and/or joint ventures.
- Interacting with other departments including tax, operations, compliance, finance, brokerage rates etc.
Skills / Experience Required
- English or Commonwealth qualified lawyer with a minimum of 4 years post qualification experience with experience of M&A in private practice and/or in-house. Experience of cross border transactions would be helpful. Breadth of role, title and salary may vary depending on relevant experience.
- Experience of working within the financial sector particularly welcome, although would also consider candidates with other relevant in-house or private practice experience.
- Experience in dealing with any of structured products, Islamic Finance, corporate finance, compliance, or litigation useful although not essential.
- The department is always very lively and busy so the candidate should be able to deal with competing demands in a mature and sensible fashion. The candidate will quickly build up their own internal clients and will be exposed to matters of strategic importance to the firm and the wider Group so discretion and confidentiality is essential.
- Hands on attitude and taking ownership is required with willingness to engage with differing levels, quality and value.
- Experience at providing guidance to all levels of the business is important.
- Ability to work both autonomously and with others in a small team with interactions with other in-house Legal Teams in the US as well as EMEA and APAC.
- Robust but engaging personality essential. This will be a visible role with very close interaction with other departments both in the front and back office.
- Good academics required.
BGC Partners & affiliates do not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, employees or any other company location. BGC Partners & affiliates are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please contact the Recruitment function for additional details