Reporting to General Counsel and Company Secretary, the Legal Commercial Counsel will provide a wide range of legal support on primarily commercial matters, but there will also be scope to get involved in wider strategic projects and other areas of the business (for example, HR).
As Legal Counsel,you will draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts relating to the business, help develop template contracts, provide legal advice on commercial arrangements, be the lead and supporting lawyer with respect to specific projects, train the business where required with respect to legal issues, policies and procedures. You will be motivated to be part of a small and dynamic team looking to build a fantastic legal function by offering true solutions led support.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious commercial lawyer to gain broader experience and join the existing small and agile legal team helping Abcam implement its strategy. The current team consists of an Associate General Counsel in Cambridge who is focused on IP, GDPR and compliance work supported by a Senior IP Counsel. There is also a Senior Contracts Manager based in Boston who primarily support Business Development and Customer Experience with licensing, collaborations and other operational contracts.
Education, Training & Qualifications - Essential
Qualified solicitor with 3-5 years PQE
Experience – Essential
- Have a high intellectual ability combined with strong, varied commercial contracts background, gained either from a top-tier City law firm with a well recognised commercial practice or a relevant in-house team.
- Likely to be an Associate/Senior Associate interested in moving in-house, or an in-house Commercial Counsel.
- Lawyers that preferably have some in-house experience, acquired from an in-house secondment or those who are already working in-house.
- Commercial lawyers with cross-European tender experience would be desirable, though this is in no way a pre-requisite.
Specific skills & abilities- Essential
- Be highly self-aware, empathetic and have strong relationship building skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence global cross functional teams or working with other departments on international transactions and senior stakeholders and clients.
- Possess a high degree of work ethic, integrity, commitment and professional transparency.
- Be highly organised, analytical, results-oriented, committed, agile and audacious.
- Able to manage and prioritise multiple assignments, under tight deadlines.
- Have a strong sense of purpose and commitment to the mission of Abcam.
Abcam is committed to welcoming applications from all suitable candidates and actively encourages inclusion and diversity in its workforce
Cambridge, UK. Flexible working is also actively supported and encouraged.