Requisition ID: 231273
Requisition Posting End Date: 12/05/2020
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project Management, Project Controls, Commercial, Safety, Quality and Regulatory Assurance leadership) services.
- Works at project level involved in the delivery of infrastructure several hundred million pounds in value. Reports to the Lead Cost Engineer, with a matrix reporting line to the Project Controls Manager.
- Manages the development of estimates from inception to completion. Develops an achievable estimate plan, inclusive of budget, and leads the estimating team in executing the estimate. Consolidates the estimate components and prepares the proposal cost volume and bid forms.
- Reviews estimates and ensures quality and integrity.
- Prepares basis and assumption documentation.
- Ensures lessons learned are incorporated.
- Fully understands the needs of the customer.
- Reviews design and or scope criteria and quantities for completeness and reasonableness, and coordinates with the project to develop additional estimating basis when information is incomplete. Suggests alternatives when appropriate.
- Establishes and reviews the conceptual scopes of estimates and studies when definition is not available through a demonstrated ability to conceptualize the design of the finished product. Demonstrates specialized contingency skills to compensate for undefined scope.
- Supports bid evaluation of cost and schedule criteria and prepares bid evaluations. May participate in discussions with vendors.
- Prepares non-manual, distributable and or contractors indirect cost estimates, developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, non- manual staffing, startup services, payroll taxes and insurance, support facilities and operation, and other field costs.
- Effectively presents estimate management review packages to estimate teams, department management and business line management. Schedules internal reviews.
- Prepares and provides guidance in the preparation of cash flow models and working capital analyses.
- Allocates indirect costs and fee to owner pay items when required.
- Performs and reviews escalation calculations for estimates of complex jobs.
- Identifies ways to mitigate risk. Assesses the uncertainties associated with productivity, material pricing, wage rates and quantity variation.
The following duties are performed with respect to establishing and maintaining technical capabilities for personnel, cost databases and tools:
- Supports development of estimating standards and procedures.
- Sponsors, develops and presents training in areas of expertise for courses and on the job training.
- Performs analysis on received commercial data.
The following duties are performed with respect to providing support services to projects and or sites in the form of external cost analysis and estimate reviews in addition to estimate-to-budget conversions:
- Prepares cost studies utilizing historical data, statistical analysis and cost and quantity comparisons. Develops new techniques as required to meet specific needs.
- Converts estimates into package budgets with execution team clearly communicating assumptions and rationale. Assists team in identifying scope deviations.
- Analyzes cost/price data from suppliers/subcontractors, cost processors, performance reports with the ability to generate comparative data (historical costs and other metrics) as part of cost/price analyses.
- Participates in and contributes to value engineering studies.
- Will have gained experience across multiple projects/programmes of progressively more responsibility in capital cost estimating roles.
- Experience working as a lead estimator on at least 2 major UK infrastructure projects/programmes.
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Experience in both process plant & equipment and serviced building facility estimating.
- Demonstrated advanced understanding of estimating core processes and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in EPC estimating practices and methods, including demonstrated ability to organize, direct, perform, review and present cost estimating products with a minimum of supervision.
- In-depth knowledge of project schedules and ability to predict/extrapolate costs curves based on experience of scheduled activities/cost correlation analysis.
- Thorough understanding of cost index and escalation projections.
- Technical and practical comprehension of engineering, procurement, construction and start-up methods and techniques.
- In-depth knowledge of the applicable estimating work processes and systems.
- Knowledge of administrative and supervisory procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of current industry and technical developments.
- Knowledge of global market pricing and construction practices.
- Knowledge in the use of technology for executing work processes. Proficient in Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Proficient in estimating applications.
- Skilled in oral and written communication with demonstrated ability to present estimating information to peers and management.
- Proficient in lump sum and design build estimates for competitive bid projects.
- Demonstrated ability to readily analyze estimate data and correlate to other projects and Bechtel standards and to conceptualize the total project scope.
- Understanding charging practices, the relevant commercial influences (i.e., insurance, taxes, etc.) and the relationship of charging practices to commercial terms, invoicing and profitability.
- Understanding risk, where risk can exist, factors contributing to risk, risk management and categorization, and terms in risk management.
- Experience in parametric estimating techniques.
- EPC/EPCM/EVMS experience on major infrastructure programmes.
- Experience on UK construction projects of >£500M TIC.
- APM / PMI qualifications or similar.
- Experience of Initial Gate and Main gate scrutiny processes used in UK public sector
- Must be able to obtain and maintain SC--Security Clearance
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.