Are you looking for a hugely varied and interesting role in an established and highly respected legal team at the heart of commercial decision making?
Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with the autonomy to manage your own caseload?
We have an excellent opportunity for a Commercial Lawyer to join us at RM, a growing, profitable FTSE listed business with three divisions, providing a diverse range of IT, SaaS, technology, managed services and own product development in the education sector in the UK and internationally.
As a Group, we’re at the heart of educational ideas and we’re here to improve the lives of educational users from early years all the way through to professionals.
As a Commercial Lawyer your focus will be to provide high quality legal and commercial advice to all companies in the RM plc Group. You will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide variety of work, as well as to work with a diverse range of people throughout the organisation. This is a highly visible role which will involve interacting directly with RM’s most senior management, including the CEO/CFO and other members of the Executive Committee.
In this Commercial Lawyer role, you will have the opportunity to acquire a broad range of legal experience and significant commercial acumen, working on subject matters including outsourcing, major projects, tender responses, IPR & IT matters, advice on corporate activities and general ad hoc legal advice.
If you are self-motivated, responsible and highly driven to deliver results, then apply for this Commercial Lawyer role today. This role is expected to suit applicants with 2-3 years PQE but applications from all suitably qualified and interested candidates will be considered.
- General negotiation and completion of commercial contracts to the benefit of RM plc and its subsidiaries. Dealing effectively with any post-contract legal issues that may from time to time arise. Assisting/dealing with any disputes that may arise affecting RM or its subsidiaries. Development of precedents where applicable.
- Supporting sales activities, negotiating key contracts and providing ad hoc legal advice to RM’s business in the UK and internationally, you will also be involved in the ongoing commercial management of contracts as and when issues or opportunities arise.
- Assisting the Company in the general protection of its IP interests both in the use of third party IPR (ensuring the Company's use is compliant) and in the registration and general protection of IPR in RM developed educational products and software.
- General ad hoc legal support and advice (potentially including some company secretarial matters).
- Assisting with the provision of accurate and effective advice in connection with any proposed acquisitions and joint ventures made by the Group.
The role is primarily focussed on the UK business though there is increasing international projects and bids (though international travel will be infrequent).
Skills & Experience
- Experience of general commercial / contract law is essential.
- Experience of IT, outsourcing, TUPE, major projects, public sector procurements and consumer law would be advantageous but is not essential.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Ability to work both unsupervised and also as part of a team (both within the Legal & Commercial function and the wider business).
- Ability to prioritise and manage a busy workload.
- A willingness to be flexible, sometimes at short notice.
- Commercially astute with ability to identify key issues and suggest pragmatic solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational abilities.
Look at the benefits you will be entitled to when you join!
Our competitive core benefits package includes 25 Days Annual Leave (with an option to buy an extra 5 days), a Performance Related Bonus Scheme, membership of our Group Personal Pension (Pension Quality Mark approved) with higher contribution levels available from the Company if you choose to contribute more, Private Medical Healthcare, Income Protection, Life Assurance (4 times salary) and enhanced family leave.
We also offer voluntary benefits such as Cycle to Work Scheme, Family Private Medical Healthcare, Dental Plan, Health Cash Plan, Critical Illness Cover, Health Assessments (cost deducted over 12 months), Give as You Earn and an Employee Referral Scheme.
At RM we are committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive and flexible workplace where all our colleagues can be themselves and succeed on merit.