An exciting opportunity for an experienced Analytical Scientist to join our start-up team. Your role will be to provide scientific and technical support to the analytical method development activities. Analytical development activities will comprise of method optimisation and characterisation. You will be an experienced scientist with proven hands-on experience in analytical method development and sophisticated qPCR analytical techniques.
We are a start-up nutrigenetics company looking to integrate the sports nutrition and nutrigenetics markets to create the world’s first vertically integrated personalised nutrition company. We are currently building out our DNA testing wet-lab capability and have big plans in the coming months, we are looking for team members who enjoy the excitement of joining a fast-paced start-up company and get hands-on building internal analytical capabilities from the ground up.
- Educated to at least BSc level in a relevant scientific discipline with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a microbiology/biotechnology role. Molecular Biology specialty is a plus.
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline would be advantageous.
- Strong scientific knowledge with extensive experience of performing analytical method development activities in a relevant industrial setting.
- Extensive practical experience of qPCR, sequencing and genotyping technologies and modern automation practices.
- A focus on delivering on project timelines, supported by a meticulous approach to work planning.
- An ability to work collaboratively whilst taking responsibility for progressing designated project work.
- Demonstrable experience of communicating complex scientific information to colleagues and third parties.
- Key Responsibilities
- Work within a small team of scientists and technicians performing analytical method development activities– to enable rapid and efficient project progress with a focus on delivering exceptional data quality and scientific support.
- Work under overall project plans, adhering to project timelines and delivering work input goals and milestones.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership to analytical method development projects, including generation of analytical methods, authoring of method protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Co-ordinate analytical activities performed by external partners and/or contract testing laboratories.
- Dedicate a proportion of your time to performing hands-on laboratory work and analysing primary data.
- Prepare reports for internal and external customers in different formats.
- Engage directly with internal and external customers to communicate complex scientific information in a clear and concise manner.
- Provide technical and scientific leadership for the development of junior technicians. This may include mentoring and/or technical supervision.
- Actively seek to improve the analytical capabilities of the company through identification of new technologies and sourcing solutions to improve throughput and precision.
- Assist in the development of detailed workflows in the subject matter area, highlighting standard work operations and the time/resource that each should take as the basis for capacity planning.
- Fully support and develop laboratory working practices. Contribute fully to all communal lab responsibilities, setting a leading example to other staff.
Desirable Skills / Pre-requisites (on-the-job training may be required):
- Experience of working in ISO compliant environment. Experience in accreditation requirements.
- Oversight and/or performance of analytical method validation.
- Proficient in application of Quality by Design and Design of Experiments.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £44,000.00 /year