The Business offers one of a kind Educational Services and Compliance products.
Are you looking for the perfect role to kick-start your career?
This is a brilliant and innovative education company based in Redditch are looking to recruit an apprentice software developer!
To work as the junior in the busy programming team updating and enhancing our online management systems for the education sector. You will assist in coding the back end using PHP and SQL, plus producing progress reports and assisting the Lead Programmer and Programmer in all aspects of the department’s activities.
There is also a great progression opportunity with this company as we are looking for someone to grow and learn with the business.
Main role / Responsibilities [will include but not be limited to]:
- The ideal candidate will have strong technical skills but also have the personality and communication skills
- Your ability to handle multiple complex situations rapidly and intelligently and your ability to learn will be ranked highly
- We will provide in-position training and support to help you build your experience
Main points of the post are as follows:
- Assisting delivery of coding requirements under instruction from the Lead Programmer
- Fault checking code produced by the department and ensuring it functions as intended, giving all relevant error messages for the end user
- Reacting to end user feedback and delivering improvements to tight schedules
- Logging progress of departmental tasks
- Attending team meetings as required
- Liaising with other company staff, especially client support team
- Altering existing code or creating new solutions to fix software issues
- Identify usability or user interface issues in the product and provide recommendations for improvement
- Documenting all the work undertaken
- Exploring new technologies to see if there are better ways to solve problems
- Ensure the ongoing security of hosted systems and internal infrastructure
- Undertake penetration tests, analyse the results and implement/recommend corrective action
Desired qualities, skills and knowledge:
- You will need to balance competing priorities, so being able to multi-task in a fun but intensive environment where issue prioritisation is a critical skill
- A positive, can-do attitude and the ability to integrate within the team
- Able to use your initiative is essential
- Excellent IT skills
- Expert eye for detail and dedication to ensuring excellence for our clients
- Experience in working in a programming environment (this can be producing your own online work – either systems or web applications)
- Get up and go attitude
- Can use initiative by finding help to solve a problem
- Programming experience and specific knowledge of PHP and SQL.
- Knowledge of the Yii2 framework also a great help
- Knowledge of JQuery and the command line (CMD or Unix) also good
Desired qualification requirements:
- Minimum B in Mathematics at A level or equivalent
8:30am - 4:30pm with 30 mins for lunch),
37.5 hours a week,
[all details will be confirmed with the employer]
£187.50 (£5 per hour)
Benefits of the role/Future prospects:
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Standard sick pay
- Pay review on successful completion of the apprenticeship at which point a full-time job may be offered (thus far every apprentice here has been offered a full-time role on completion of their apprenticeship).
Other benefits include:
- Learning and development with training opportunities
- Work with an ambitious, growing business with a brilliant effective product
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.