Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
ISR and DMS UK Consolidation Reporting Financial Controller
Our Defence and Mission Systems business have an opportunity for a motivated and driven Finance Professional to lead the Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance (ISR) and the Defence and Mission Systems (DMS) Consolidation reporting & accounting team based in Crawley. This role is a vital part of the DMS UK Finance Team and will provide a strong service and support to ISR UK Domain and DMS business unit.
We are looking for the successful individual to Lead and manage the financial reporting and accounting team of two. You will be required to provide the ISR business with timely and accurate data and monthly reports that support business decisions in a matrix organisation environment. As well as leading the team to support directly the DMS business units Financial Director by providing timely and accurate consolidated reports and working closely with the wider DMS UK Finance teams.
The right person for the role will be able to do the following:
- Build strong and effective relationships with key Stakeholders in the business. You must be able to influence senior stakeholder and be able to push back to the business if you need to.
- Play a pivotal part during month end activities; forecasting and annual budgeting activities. Be the conduit between the DMS business units, Thales UK reporting team, DMS GBU reporting team based in France. Ensuring all reporting deadlines and requirements are communicated to the wider DMS UK Finance team and are met on time and in accurate manner.
- Continuous drive for efficiencies in the reporting and overhead management activities.
- Improvement and development of reporting templates in line with group requirements and tools (TM1, B-one)
- Strong adherence to processes and working with other Domains on streamlining reporting processes across the whole DMS UK CBU.
- Be the primary point of contact of external audit team(s) for the process and accounting audit activities for the ISR Domain.
- Continuous development of the team to provide the best support to the business and further career opportunities to the team members.
- Create a strong link between DMS CBU and Thales UK, GBU and Thales Group reporting teams
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
You will be Responsible for Managing, leading and developing a team of two people and leasing and co-ordinating with wider DMS UK Finance teams in order to ensure the following:
- Accurate and timely monthly preparation of management accounts and relevant reports to the DMS CBU, ISR Domain and ISR BL, Thales UK and DMS GBU in France.
- Accurate and timely preparation of Business Operational Review (BOR) and required schedules for ISR UK Domain and consolidated for the DMS UK CBU. Collect meaningful variance analysis and commentary from the Domain FDs and Business Financial Controllers.
- Agreement of monthly results and forecasted performance with the ISR Domain FD, and the CBU FD.
- Reconciliation of P&L (ERP, TM1, Magnitude and BOR documents).
- Reconciliation of Balance Sheet for the ISR Domain with regular sign off by the Domain’s FDs. Ensuring balances are understood and validated by the domain’s FD, Business Financial Controllers / Project Accountants.
- Support the business in processing corrective journals, including cost transfers and ensuring all month end journals are posted on time and correctly.
- Ensure regular reviews of cost centres (overhead costs and headcount) with the cost centre owners. Ensuring the cost centres owners receive good analysis on costs, headcount and DLUs, are held responsible for delivering within budget. Working with the cost centre owners on regular headcount forecasting and aligning the IBP headcount demand with supply. Report correct forecast in TM1 and Magnitude in a timely and accurate manner. Lead the reporting and overhead team to become a strong business partner to the cost centre managers and provide reliable partnership during the year and during the multi-year budget process (MYB). Drive the preparation of the overhead and headcount budget data.
- Manage the financial management and control of the CAPEX in conjunction with the business requirements.
- Establish in conjunction with the ISR Domain FD a strong OCF forecasting (receipts, labour costs, supplier costs, CAPEX, stock, work ahead of contract). Work on development of a common process and template for all domains within the CBU. Include regular reporting and commentary on Aged Debtors. Prepare meaningful variance analysis and commentary.
- Manage the annual preparation of ICQ and Insurance Questionnaire for the ISR Domain.
- Be the main point of contact for the external audit team(s) for General Accounting and Process audit activities and ensure all information is provided to the auditors in a timely and correct manner.
- Preparation of consolidated monthly results, forecast and annual budget providing accurate and reconciled data on time for the DMS CBU FD. Ensure all schedules and templates are correctly set up and meet the group requirements.
- Work closely with the reporting team of other domains in order to establishing common ways of working across all DMS UK Domains ensuring all Thales processes and policies are correctly applied and followed. Drive for improvements and efficiencies.
Qualifications and Skills.
The right candidate will be ACA, CIMA or ACCA qualified with experience in reporting and proven track record on ability to deliver accurate data on time. Strong analytical skills, a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. Solid Excel and financial modelling skills and knowledge of ERP systems. Knowledge of TM1 Cognos is desirable. We are looking for an individual who will also demonstrate strong Leadership & Interpersonal skills; High professional integrity and the ability to challenge the status quo and to maintain an independent perspective whilst staying part of the overall team.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!