Internal Auditor - AVP/Vice President - Glasgow
Posting Date: Oct 20, 2020
Primary Location: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-Glasgow
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,500 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career-minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
Internal Audit is responsible for validating whether the Firm operates in a controlled environment with appropriate risk management processes. Auditors evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the Firm’s internal controls using a risk based methodology developed from professional auditing standards. Internal Audit assists in monitoring the Firm’s compliance with internal guidelines set for risk management and risk monitoring, as well as external rules and regulations governing the industry. The team reports directly to the Board Audit Committee and helps verify whether the Firm meets all of its fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, while adhering to corporate-governance standards and legal and regulatory requirements.
Internal Audit comprises Business, Risk and Technology auditors. Business and Risk auditors focus on understanding the risks that the businesses face and the controls to mitigate those risks. Technology auditors focus on the application controls supporting business processes, including systems development, application security and entitlements, production management, and technology governance. Both groups are responsible for understanding, analysing and testing the controls to protect the franchise.
The Operations Audit team is part of the Morgan Stanley European Internal Audit Department that provides financial and systems audit support throughout Europe.
Morgan Stanley is seeking a strong auditor for its Operations audit team covering the global operations functions performed in EMEA. The person in the role will assist the Internal Audit department’s Operations audit team in completing its annual audit plan, communicating to senior management and providing recommendations for improvements. Audited functions include all operations processes, including client asset segregation requirements, performed to support the sales and trading functions.
Reporting to the Audit Coverage Director for Operations in EMEA, the candidate will participate in integrated financial and technology audits.
The Auditor’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan, execute, and report on audits of EMEA Operations
- Identify and assess areas of critical and high risks and evaluate the soundness of their controls as part of audits, continuous monitoring and closure verification work
- Drive discussions with senior business stakeholders to understand risk drivers, control state, and impact in order to formulate a point of view of the control environment
- Define audit scope, design control testing steps to evaluate the adequacy of the control designs and operating effectiveness
- Provide guidance to junior staff in performing testing and closure verification of Issues and action plan
- Prepare formal audit conclusion such as audit reports and management action plan.
- Proactively monitor and address key metrics associated with audit plans, resources and issues and actions
- Assist in the messaging of risks and controls in the quarterly pack to senior management
- Manage and mentor junior staff
- Experience in internal or external audit or risk management, ideally in banking/investment management/financial services
- In-depth understanding of the operation of financial markets, preferably experience in auditing operations processes.
- Client Money/Assets Segregation experienced preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills, showing ability to assess risks and controls
- Leverages business knowledge to effectively identify risks and business impact to formulate a viewpoint
- Demonstrates critical thinking
- Able to identify regulatory risks and impact to the business line
Able to analyze trends and identify areas of further diagnosis
- Communicates with impact, able to state risk and issues concisely and articulates impact in a structured manner
- actively listens and asks probing questions to further dialogue
- Communicates with impact, able to state risk and issues concisely and articulates impact in a structured manner both written and verbally
- Identifies relevant information and shares appropriately with wide range of team members
- Ability to handle multiple projects while meeting deadlines with minimal supervision
- Part/Qualified Accountant holding a professional accounting or auditing qualification (ACA, ACCA etc.) preferable but not essential
- In-depth understanding of key financial industry regulations
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents #LI-SC1
Source : Morgan Stanley