Bring your experience, build your career…
As the world leader in metal packaging technology, Crown Holdings Inc. produces innovative and sustainable packaging products to consumer marketing companies around the world. Our CROWN Technology sector drives innovation across the Group from our R&D centres in the UK and in the US.
We are looking for an Intellectual Property Counsel to join our IP team in Wantage, Oxfordshire.
Group Intellectual Property Division (GIPD) is responsible for the prosecution and management of the metal packaging and machinery global intellectual property (IP) portfolio of CROWN PACKAGING TECHNOLOGY INC, including patents, designs, and trademarks. As the world leader in metal packaging technology we specialise in high volume manufacture of metal beverage cans, food cans, aerosols, closures and promotional packs for consumer goods customers worldwide. We have over 33,000 employees worldwide and operate 241 plants in 48 countries with an annual turnover in excess of $11bn per annum.
The IP Manager has a close working relationship with CROWN’s global in-house IP team, external US/EU attorneys, inventors within CROWN TECHNOLOGY (UK and USA), our Engineering and Equipment division - CMBE and the global operational business units in order to exploit CROWN’s product, process, and apparatus IP worldwide. The role is heavily focused on the exploitation of CROWN’s intellectual property as a commercial asset - facilitating collaboration with strategic customers and creating business value.
• Patent portfolio management including reviewing draft applications and draft responses prepared by Crown’s outside legal counsel and discussing with Crown inventors and Crown businesses.
• Review new inventions and technology issues with Inventors across CROWN to identify intellectual property rights and provide advice as to the best form of protection.
• Preparation, review, and negotiation of commercial IP contracts including IP assignments and transfers, IP acquisitions, joint development agreements, collaboration agreements, research contracts, MOUs, etc.
• Preparation, review, and negotiation of IP licence agreements, including in-licensing and out-licensing opportunities, facilitating strategic partnerships, opening commercial opportunities, generating licence revenues, and creating value for the business.
• Close cooperation and coordination with CROWN’s external IP advisors and in-house legal team is essential. Case management.
• Co-ordinate with Group IP to draft IP strategies that endorse the Group IP Policy and implement the Group IP Strategy.
• Lead development of tailored IP strategies.
• Review of CROWN’s confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement portfolio worldwide.
• Coordinate Crown and Competitor Patent review.
• Act as first point of contact for internal questions and concerns with support from Group IP in relation to IP issues.
• Education and Training of business (both at ‘Introduction to IP’ level and ‘Advanced IP’ level)
• Excellent communication, inter-personal, and presentation skills (verbal and written) with the ability to ‘translate’ IP to a wide Crown audience and quickly build a global network amongst the wider Crown team.
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering – mechanical or electrical or materials or equivalent.
• Patent Attorney or Post Graduate Degree in Engineering, Law or Intellectual Property or equivalent.
• Experience in prosecution, defence, and Trade Marks.
• Ability to initiate and strategically management the invention disclosure process.
• Ability to read Patents, Designs & Trade Marks, map these to Crown products, identify Whitespace and communicate the opportunities / risks to the global Crown network.
• Experience in drafting and negotiation of Contracts, Licence Agreements, JDA’s, MOU’s etc.
• A strong can-do attitude with an enthusiasm for new projects and determination to get the job done is essential.
• Proactive & collaborative approach to facilitate a true global IP network.
• Flexible and adaptable team player.
• General IT skills (MS Office, Outlook, etc).
• Languages: English (with French and/or German and/or Spanish would be advantageous).
If you think you have what it takes to succeed, we would like to hear from you! Please apply through our website uploading your curriculum vitae and a covering letter (no longer than 1 side of A4) explaining why you wish to apply for the vacancy of Intellectual Property Manager and what you feel you could bring to the role.
We’ll match your contribution to our business with an ongoing commitment to your career development.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE