V-Nova, a London based IP and software company, is dedicated to improving data compression by building a vast portfolio of innovative technologies based on the game-changing use of AI and parallel processing for data, video, imaging, and point cloud compression, with applications across several verticals. This is achieved through deep-science R&D (300+ international patents) and the development of products that test, prove and continuously enhance the technology portfolio.
V-Nova has contributed part of its IP to drive standardization of two codec formats, MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC), a low-complexity enhancement video codec, and SMPTE VC-6 (ST-2117), a high-performance AI-based video and imaging codec. We’ve developed multiple award-winning software products to kickstart the ecosystems for its technologies and allow their immediate deployment, addressing use cases in TV, media, live event production, entertainment, social networks, eCommerce, ad-tech, security, aerospace, defence, automotive and gaming.
We’re committed to the extraordinary and rely on the talent of our high-performing diverse teams to provide innovative solutions and deliver what we promise. We’ve worked hard to create a company where talented, passionate people can thrive in a culture that values individual empowerment and excellence and achieves through teamwork. We’re constantly on the lookout for exceptional individuals who thrive off solving challenging problems and want to make an impact. With groundbreaking technology, a fast-paced collaborative environment and major growth plans, there’s never been a more exciting time to join us.
As the in-house Patent Attorney, you will capture ideas, draft patent applications and prosecute them. You’ll help manage the IP portfolio (yes, not only patents, but also trade secrets, trademarks, etc.) and make sure that money is well invested. You’ll also help manage IP risks and help monitor where innovation is heading to.
You’ll have the ability to help evolve the IP function, selecting the right tools, the best external counsels and help the business in IP related issues. You won’t be alone in this journey. You’ll work very closely with the management team and the legal team, and you’ll work together with the SVP of IP and a senior external counsel in helping to shape the IP strategy of the company.
You need energy, enthusiasm and a good dose of craziness to see things that others don’t. But you’ll also need to be able to tell stories and put IP in the business narrative. We don’t measure things in how much time you need to do something – rather, we think in terms of deliverables and added value.
A competitive salary, potential for equity in a mature start-up with excellent exit opportunities as well as the possibility to learn and develop are on the table. And of course, a fantastic young start-up team who believe working hard and having fun are part of the same story.
Open to all backgrounds and routes in to the profession, the role would suit those looking for something a bit different; perhaps you are pre-qualified, part or recently qualified and looking for some broader experience prior to partner track, or looking for an interesting in-house lateral transfer. Open to those seeking flexibility in terms of working hours or location.
In particular, you will be responsible for:- Building and managing V-Nova’s global patent portfolio (implementing the overall IP strategy set by the IP Steering Committee) as well as V-Nova’s trademarks and trade secrets.
- Working with an external counsel to manage a growing patent portfolio of over 200 active patents. - Executing patent filing strategy including liaising directly with R&D teams, project teams and collaborators to identify and capture innovation, helping prepare new patent applications, claim preparation and working with external counsel on divisional applications. - Providing internal education and training on IP matters.- Working with in-house and external counsel on non-patent IP including trademarks, trade secrets, designs and copyright.
- Preparing reports for Board of Directos and investors on IP strategy and progress. - Assisting in evaluation of third-party opportunities and risks.
- Driving use and implementation of state-of-the-art IP tools and managing day to day IP activities.
In return, you'll get the freedom, responsibilty and autonomy in a role with plenty of scope for future growth. No more billable hours! Rather, the chance to drive the high-level IP strategy and work closely with technical teams on exciting AI & computing advances, with the support and supervision from leading experienced attorneys. All of this with a competitive benefits package and the opportunity to work flexibly if required.
You love technology. You get excited about talking with inventors who are working in directions where nobody else is looking. But you also know that technology doesn’t work in a vacuum, and it needs to be aligned with business and commercial drives to make sure it really is a game-changer. You love communicating with people, working in teams, challenging and being challenged, influencing others and make sure they become the champions of the innovation you are helping to create. You work with innovators, software engineers, business leaders, sales people, business developers, and you link them all to make sure that the technology is applicable to as many fields as possible. You don’t simply capture innovation, you help shape it.
- Recently or nearly qualified as a patent attorney (time off and financial support for studies will be provided).
- A background in Maths, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar (a degree with signal processing elements would be advantageous).
- Experience working on or prosecuting video or audio codecs would be a bonus.
- Experiencing managing mid-sized patent portfolios for software companies or Telcos would be a bonus.