Syngenta is a leadingagriculture company helping to improve global food security by enablingmillions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through worldclass science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90countries are working to transform how crops are grown. TheProduct Safety function is committed to the safe use of crop protectionproducts.
We are seeking a skilled scientist to join adynamic team who work collaboratively to ensure the safety of individuals in contact withSyngenta’s crop protection products through normal farming uses (operatorexposure). The Operator Safety team forms part ofthe Product Safety Department and this role will be based at Syngenta’s UKResearch and Development site at Jealott’s Hill, Bracknell.
The role involves the understanding,interpretation and integration of a wide range of data (e.g. metabolism andtoxicological outputs) to provide robust non-dietary human risk assessmentpositions and expertise into European and Global projects. The role alsorequires the evaluation and application of new techno-regulatory guidelines andapproaches to assessing human exposure and risk from the use of Syngentaproducts to maintain Syngenta’s competitiveness in the agri-business. Leadingthe provision of operator exposure expertise on project teams and working withcolleagues from other technical disciplines such as Environmental Safety,Toxicology, Metabolism, Regulatory Affairs and Project Management, are keycomponents of the role.
The job requires a diversemultidisciplinary skill set and offers the candidate an opportunity to developa broad understanding of both the technical and regulatory aspects of Syngenta’sactive ingredients and products.
Our current team membershavecome from a variety of backgrounds including Chemistry, Food Sciences,Biological Sciences, Toxicology, Regulatory and Consumer Healthcare
- Providing the Operator Exposure risk assessment input into project teams(both technical and training and support will be provided where necessary)
- Ensuring the delivery and content of regulatory submission documents toagreed timelines
- Representing Syngenta as the technical expert in discussions withexternal regulatory authorities or industry associations
- Participating in, and leading, science projects that advance the work ofthe Operator Safety team, and communicating the outcomes within Syngenta and atexternal venues
- Interpreting and applying exposure data and analyses in the assessment of human safety
- An understanding and interpretation techno-regulatory guidelines andissues, and developing and advocating techno-regulatory strategies to gain anddefend product registrations
- Creative problem-solving skills, and an ability to facilitateconstructive discussion and resolution of complex technical issues in a timelymanner
- An aptitude and interest in working in multiple projects simultaneouslyand an ability to prioritise work effectively
- Good numeracy skills
- Effective written and verbal communication including advocacy andinfluencing skills
- To be qualified to a minimum of degree level in arelevant scientific discipline such as chemistry, biochemistry, analyticalscience, environmental chemistry or related subject. A higher qualification isbeneficial, but not a requirement.
- The following skills, and experience of working within EU regulatoryframeworks, would be preferred, although training will be provided wherenecessary
- Experience of leading and/or working within multi-disciplinary projectteams, and managing high work demands
- A proven track record of solving difficult and complex technicalproblems
- Knowledge of the principles of operator exposure and risk assessment in theagrochemical/pesticide industry, or in an industry where human exposureevaluations and risk assessments are conducted
- Knowledge of techno-regulatory pesticide guidelines relating to operatorsafety, and experience of writing and reviewing technical submission documents
- Campus environment based at Jealott’s Hill, Bracknell, Berkshire
- Full time and permanent contract
- Competitive benefits and salary
- An opportunity to work collaboratively with team members who share astrong commitment and pride in their work
- Great opportunities for personal and career development
- Up to 31.5 days annual holiday