MSD is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Our HTA&OR function continues to grow, and because of that we have an opportunity for an experienced and skilled Health Economist to join us in a Team Leader role. Reporting to the Head of HTA&OR, the incumbent will directly manage 4-5 specialist Health Economists.
Accountable for the delivery of high quality HTA dossiers for national HTA agencies; tools, training and support for Regional and Local Access activities in a timely fashion. This is to be achieved through effective strategy development, direction, management and leadership of people and resources. The prime objective is to achieve optimal national market access and help deliver optimal regional & local market access.
HTA&OR Team Leaders are expected to take a broad approach to their activities working in a cross-functional matrix and working closely with CORE and Global Market Access where relevant. The have a responsibility, alongside the Head of Group, to identify and develop future HTA&OR Leaders and supporting the broader Department objectives/priorities
Planning and delivery
- Supervise the planning, design and conduct of UK led or based Outcome Research (OR) or Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) studies carried out by the team
- Supervise the development, adaptation and implementation of Health Economic (HE) models and programmes to meet customer needs and achieve commercial targets
- Support product submissions to external agencies e.g. NICE, pricing, formularies
- Supervise sourcing, interpretation, generation and dissemination of OR and EBM information and data for internal and external customers on products or therapeutic areas
- Supervise OR input to clinical trial design process
- Supervise collation, analysis and reporting on data from such studies to contribute to the evidence base available for MSD products
- Supervise HTA&OR contribution to the strategic and operational planning process to optimise delivery of commercial objectives
- Provide and present OR and EBM technical information, advice and training to all relevant colleagues and to external customers. Enhance MSD’s image in the market place
- Strengthen the UK value proposition of a new compound 18-36 months from launch by contributing to its CORE Integrated Evidence Plan / data strategy
- Manage budgets proactively and accurately.
- Lead and manage their team in the delivery of their work
- Motivate and develop their team members using the full suite of performance management/talent management assets provided by MSD.
- Ensure that both they and their team works collaboratively with relevant teams and individuals across the business.
- Provide regular reports and updates to Head of group and relevant Business Unit Director(s).
- Adhere to, and ensure team adheres to company policies and procedures, and the ABPI Code of Practice.
- Manage team through regular communications, team meetings, objective setting, developmental support and talent management, and the annual performance cycle.
- Assist in the identification and recruitment of internal and external talent.
Customer Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, e.g. NICE, ABPI, ISPOR, and participate in affiliated work streams (AAR, CDF review).
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with MSD UK stakeholders, e.g. Medical, HS, BUs etc.
- Identify and develop relationships with competent and talented Vendors and Suppliers and manage them effectively.
- Develop strong relationships with EuCan, Global Market Access and CORE stakeholders
- Graduate in possession of a relevant postgraduate qualification (or equivalent) in:
- Health Economics
- OR – EBM methods
- Outstanding HTA&OR knowledge and detailed understanding of NICE and SMC.
- Demonstrated ability to lead on, and deliver, HTA submissions to UK agencies.
- Knowledge of developing NHS and HTA agency trends such as Value Based Pricing, CDF reform and Accelerated Access
- Understanding of the NHS and broader health landscape.
Skills and Competencies required
- Leadership – demonstrates strong leadership traits which inspire and motivate teams and individuals to deliver exceptional performance. Able to adapt leadership style and approach depending upon the situation. Has exceptionally strong Emotional Intelligence (EI) and uses this to gain trust and respect from external customers,their team and wider MSD colleagues
- Business Acumen – Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the clinical and economic drivers of national HTA agencies and Regional/local payers; has strong analytical skills, identifies opportunities and capitalises on them through rapid disciplined decision making. Impact and Implementation - Proven experience of project management, effective organization and delegation with objectives and measurement systems
- Influencing – Demonstrable customer focused approach; earns trust through demonstrating courage and candour in their communication style. Collaborates and communicates with colleagues across the business and designated external customers
- Decision Making - Makes informed, fact based decisions to help solve access issues.
- Adaptability - Adapts willingly and quickly to different challenges and situations. Flexible approach to situations and challenges, seeing them through to completion
- Strategic Thinking - Identifies opportunities for maximising opportunities for access at both a National and Regional/Local levels, prioritizes them strategically and effectively managing competing priorities
- People Management – Demonstrable experience of leading, motivating, recognising and performance managing a team. Ability to build and communicate a clear vision
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Job Title: Assoc. Dir, Outcomes Research
Primary Location: EMEA-United Kingdom-ENG-Hoddesdon
Employee Status: Regular