The purpose of this role is to consolidate, manage and develop Gateley's risk and compliance function. As the Head of Risk and Compliance you will work with our COLP and COFA and other risk
officers (eg Chair of Risk Committee, MLRO and Information Security Officer/Data Protection Officer) in all areas of risk management and compliance. You will manage internal and external legal compliance to ensure Gateley operates in line with all relevant rules, regulations and best practice in particular, the Money Laundering Regulations, Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and SRA Regulations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and implementation of risk and compliance based projects to respond to key areas of risk, regulatory developments or other strategic developments for the business
- Keeping up-to-date with all relevant regulatory and compliance developments, advising the business accordingly and implementing any required changes to compliance policies, practices, structures, and procedures.
- Management of quality accreditations and liaising with external auditors as required.
- Coordination, monitoring and reporting of internal breach and complaints reports to identify risk trends and develop and deliver appropriate improvements to address these (policy/process changes, training etc)
- Provision of support to the Risk Committee in developing internal risk awareness and best practice adherence, conducting risk management reviews, setting objectives for risk and compliance matters as well as establishing and maintaining training plans on risk and compliance subjects.
- Provision of support for risk officers including policy reviews and updating, reporting and training.
- Lexcel – working with our Lexcel partner to further embed Lexcel within the business (ongoing review and updating of the manual, delivery of training, management of file reviews and audits, analyse and report upon reviews and audits, oversee corrective actions)
Your role will include the development and management of a centralised function for client and matter inception including:
- AML (delivery of AML advice including sign off on new client acceptance, escalation of key AML and reputational risks to the MLRO and COLP, ongoing monitoring of high risk and high profile clients, reporting as required, development of internal AML awareness and delivery of effective training programmes and best practice adherence);
- Conflicts - delivery of conflicts advice including review and analysis of potential conflicts and confidentiality issues, escalation of issues as appropriate, liaison with the COLP, partners and fee earners in relation to conflicts analysis and outcomes, reporting as required, development of internal conflicts and confidentiality awareness and delivery of effective training programmes and best practice adherence.
- Financial risk assessment - review and analysis of potential issues, liaison with appropriate staff, escalation where appropriate and reporting
? Other risks assessment (for example work type, resource requirements – review and analysis of potential issues, liaison with appropriate staff, escalation where appropriate and reporting)
Key Skills & Experience
This is an exciting time for our new member to join and we will give the successful candidate the opportunity to establish and grow the Risk and Compliance function. As our Head of Risk and Compliance, it will be your responsibility to take on the consolidation and future development of existing risk and compliance processes and personnel to deliver a centralised risk and compliance function to include policies, processes, training, analysis and reporting.
If you have previous experience in a senior risk and compliance role within a professional services organisation we want to hear you from you! We’re looking for talented individuals who have the drive and determination to build our service, to make their mark on the business and establish themselves as a key contact for all things risk and compliance.
You will have experience, understanding and knowledge of working in a regulatory environment ideally in that of a provider of legal services to predominantly commercial clients. You will understand a lawyer’s primary regulatory and compliance duties (for example Code of Conduct, AML, conflicts, confidentiality and client care).
Previous experience at a manager level, reporting at board level and having user experience of industry standard compliance processes would be desirable.