Head of Grounds
The School is seeking to appoint a Head of Grounds to be responsible for the management of all outdoor sports areas. The role is instrumental in providing both excellent and safe sports pitches and practice areas for children across the school. The post holder is part of the Facilities Team and is accountable to the Facilities Manager.
The Facilities Team provides support to the school to ensure that day-to-day operations run smoothly and effectively for all staff, pupils, parents and visitors. The team also ensures that health & safety procedures are adhered to and that the appearance and security of the school buildings, grounds and facilities are maintained to an excellent standard at all times.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES- Head of Grounds
- To ensure the grounds are maintained to the highest of standards in line with the excellent reputation of the school
- To ensure that all sports pitches, both grass and artificial, are maintained, managed and improved throughout the year under the direction of both the Head of Boys and Girls Sport
- To erect and maintain all sports equipment
- To liaise on a daily basis with the Facilities Manager regarding all work to be carried out
- To liaise with the Facilities Manager to arrange the purchase of supplies and services needed, helping to ensure resources are managed within budget constraints
- To assist the Facilities Manager in maintaining a structured grounds maintenance programme for future budget planning by reporting necessary replacements and renewals
- To carry out general care & maintenance of machinery as required
- To work to a routine and regular preventative maintenance schedule to ensure that the school grounds, equipment and facilities are correctly maintained.
- To clear debris (leaves, etc.) daily from sports pitches, artificial pitch, Pre-Prep playground and adventure playground prior to the start of the school day
- To report any health and safety issues
- To pick up any litter found while working around the site and not walk past it
- To keep buildings, sheds and workshops in a clean and tidy condition
- To repair and maintain all boundaries and fences in conjunction with the Facilities Team or external contractors, as necessary
- To assist in tree maintenance and liaising with external contractors as required
- To keep the pond and river bank clear
- To maintain sufficient levels of fuel in all fuel cans held on site
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES- Head of Grounds
- To attend training courses for health and safety as required
- To continually observe the security of site to ensure minimal risk to the school
- To drive a school mini bus, either with or without passengers, when required
- To assist in opening up the school in the absence of the Caretaker
- To assist the Facilities Team with setting up and the operational assistance of school events when required
- To review work-based risk assessments on an annual basis
PERSON SPECIFICATION- Head of Grounds
- We are looking for a person who in interview and by virtue of their qualifications and experience best demonstrates that he/she:
- is suitably qualified for the responsibilities of the post
- has previous experience in a similar role and has experience of working in a school environment
- is presentable and acts as an ambassador for the School
- has the ability to fulfil the responsibilities of the post with energy, enthusiasm and excellence
- has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- has an organised approach and excellent time management skills
- has a sense of humour
- has an exemplary attendance record in both present and previous employment
- works with confidence and calmness when dealing with challenging situations
- has the ability to work as part of a team
The Facilities Manager supports the team and communication is vital to ensure that the school has well planned maintenance and development programmes. The Team meets weekly with the Facilities Manager to ensure both correct planning and reporting procedures are in place. Daily issues are communicated directly to the Facilities Manager.
Members of the Facilities Team are required to have a ‘can do’ attitude and be flexible in their work to support the changing priorities that sometimes occur within this successful and thriving school.
All staff need to work to the school’s risk assessment standards, ensuring that health and safety procedures are adhered to. Correct equipment must be used at all times, with checks to ensure that it is safe to use – a full understanding of the school’s Health & Safety Policy is essential.
SALARY & WORKING HOURS
The salary will be in the range of £24,000 - £28,000 pa depending on experience and qualifications. The role has working hours of 7.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday throughout the year. Attendance at specific school events is required for which overtime is paid.
The School is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. To enable us to make any reasonable adjustments, please let us know at application stage if you have any special requirements. The offer of appointment at Hoe Bridge School is conditional upon the provision of a self-declaration of physical and mental fitness to discharge the responsibilities of the post.
Applications will be considered as they are received with a final closing date of the 6th December 2019. The School reserves the right to appoint at any time during the application process.
Hoe Bridge School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any person offered a position will be required to complete an enhanced DBS disclosure.
£24,000.00 - £28,000.00 per year