Birds Eye is part of Nomad Foods; Europe’s largest frozen food company (c€2.5bn NSV) which includes iconic brands such as Birds Eye, Findus, Iglo, Goodfellas and Aunt Bessie’s (AB).
The Nomad Group is going through an exciting period of change with a clear strategy in place for further growth. The Group has plans to continue to grow organically, whilst pursuing strategic acquisitions and continue to build a best-in-class food company.
The Birds Eye UK accounts for c£650m NSV and Ireland c€60; serving shoppers and consumers through all major Grocery Retailers and multiple channels including eCommerce, Discounters, Wholesale and Foodservice.
Reporting the Region FD UK & Ireland based in Bedfont Lakes, this role has recently been created to lead the robust management of Accounting and Financial Services (e.g. General ledger, balance sheet, AP & AR, SSC), Financial closing and reporting, Controls and Process improvement projects for the UK & Ireland.
Head of Financial Accounting is a member of the Birds Eye UK & Ireland Extended Leadership Team and will have the ability to build trusted relationships across all levels and functions in the business. Ongoing positive stakeholder engagement is key in this wide-reaching role to ensure that that finance information is rigorously used in decision-making, performance is accurately measured, and, forecasted
Working to provide a stewardship mindset, transparency, challenge and integrity to financial decisions the successful candidate will leading a team of 4 direct reports and a further 35 based in the Gloucester Shared Service Centre managing all the financial accounting, reporting and controls for the UK and Ireland. Developing a high performing team is critical to this new opportunity and experience in encouraging, motivating, and guiding both individuals and the team in high performance, learning and development, and improving effectiveness is a key attribute.
Compliance and stewardship: Ensuring that the Group’s financial integrity and reputation is maintained and enhanced and that the Group’s assets are safeguarded
- Directs all external, reporting and compliance requirements of business; Evaluates when to rely on own knowledge and when to refer to specialists; Recognises that responsibility for accuracy and timeliness remains with BU even when preparation of tax compliance outsourced Undertakes SOX compliance for Business Unit Designs and implements key controls.
- Manages completion of financial statements (for Group purposes and entity requirements); Determines month- and year-end reporting process; Analyses P/L and B/S to identify and then resolve issues; Oversees entire auditor relationship.
- Effective cash management: Implements company financing projects with Group Treasury; Sets and delivers working capital objectives; Analyses and forecasts working capital drivers; Leads and implements cash optimisation plans.
Improving and Simplifying Systems and Processes:
- Leads large scale process simplification projects; Champions process simplification and standardisation; Challenges the business to deliver long and short-term simplification; Anticipates systemic needs and proactively puts systems and processes in place; Oversees process simplification projects to successful implementation; Operates as strategic leader of processes, influencing other departments and stakeholders across the whole business.
Impactful Financial Analysis: Ensuring that the Financial Accounting Team operates as a high performing team. Ensuring that the appropriate information is used in decision-making; performance is accurately measured; forecasted
- Designs creative analytical approaches and links analyses to the business performance and targets; Develops and recommends actions to resolve issues identified; Manages multiple analytical projects by quickly grasping concepts, prioritising and decisiveness; Applies the flywheel and its components in practice.
Managing Below EBITDA Costs:
- Manages complex projects to reduce below EBITDA costs; Oversees compliance obligations successfully to ensure no interest or penalties incurred;
- Overseas implementation of projects reducing ROTIs; Proposes new governance procedures to enable active management of ROTIs.
- ACCA Qualified
- Education: University graduate, qualified accountant
- Experience: Min. 5+ years PQE. A track record of delivery in financial accounting roles with the ability to lead remote teams in matrix structure
- Line Management and team development skills
- Communicating with Impact
- Leading and Motivating a team to out perform
- Highly numerate and analytical, with good attention to detail
- Able to apply intellect and judgement to influence cross-functional colleagues to act on financial recommendations in commercial decisions
- Able to work collaboratively with peers and deliver through team members
- Organised, strong prioritisation skills and delivery to tight timescales
- Drive for results and high personal resilience
- Self-motivated individual with an analytical mind-set to challenge the business
- Mobility - travel regularly within the UK & Ire
- Career progression - an active learner who wants to develop others and progress across nomad as a finance leader. Progression will offer opportunities to relocate within Nomad.
- FMCG Experience