Head of Engineering North West Region
£45,000 - £50,000 per annum plus company car
We are looking for a results orientated Head of Engineering capable of leading, driving performance and managing the engineering functions for the North West region.
The team operate a fleet of more than 300 buses and across the Greater Manchester. Providing essential travel services in both city and rural areas there are a wide range of improvements in the pipeline for bus services in the North West.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the focus will be to ensure a safe, punctual, reliable and cost-effective delivery of service through robust management of the Engineering performance, providing accurate information on costs, management of the parts function, analysis of engineering capabilities and delivering effective strategies to support operational and business needs.
Ideally the successful individual must have a strong engineering background and will have had some experience in a head of engineering role across multiple sites or senior engineering role for a significant fleet size, within a PCV commercial setting or other relevant experience. Candidates with a background in LGV/PCV non-commercial (dealership/repairs) would also be considered.
We are looking for a self-reliant, straightforward communicator with skill sets to deliver the engineering requirements to support our customer facing operation, with the ability to achieve this positively and the capacity to inspire in a structured and encouraging way.
Due to the nature of the role the successful candidate will need to be flexible and prepared to work the required hours to meet the needs of the business, which may include anti-social hours and weekend working.
- To control all Engineering cost lines through robust planning and auditing.
- Drive engagement with Engineering management and supervisory teams.
- To manage the Engineering teams in accordance with our policies, standard operating procedures and all relevant legislation.
- Ensure all vehicles are regularly serviced and meet PMI KPIs, that the vehicles are thoroughly maintained and well presented in strict accordance with Company procedures, DVSA requirements.
- To ensure all engineering support software/programmes and diagnostic equipment is used effectively within the engineering departments.
- Performance management and training plans for engineering staff.
- To deliver agreed plans and budgets, including established level of Cleaning, servicing and MOT quality.
- To ensure staff planning within the engineering departments meets the operating requirements of the business.
- To manage and deliver agreed key performance indicators.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recognised engineering qualification such as Level 3 HGV City & Guilds/NVQ or equivalent.
- Previous experience as a qualified Fitter/Mechanic/Engineer.
- Possession of PSV Licence or be willing to work towards acquiring this.
- Excellent working knowledge of all daily site procedures, engineering processes, health and safety regulations, DVSA standards.
- Strong people management and leadership skills, capable of motivating and maintaining discipline with engineering and cleaning staff.
- An appropriate level of IT skills.
- Educated to at least GCSE Maths & English Pass or equivalent.
- Possession of a Certificate of Professional Competence (or working towards one) is desirable to enable management of compliance with O' licence and Transport Manager responsibilities.
- Attractive and competitive Salary
- Free employee travel pass scheme