Head of Engine (Global Tech Director)
As Head of Engine at Framestore you will have the opportunity to help shape the next generation of large scale, real-time content creation. As well as traditional uses of Engine we believe there is an opportunity to evolve our pipeline, workflows and infrastructure to bring Engine to the center of narrative content creation for Film and TV and this is an opportunity to be at the centre of that evolution.
Working closely with the Head of Software, CTO, Heads of Department, Creative Directors and other key stake-holders in the management team your role will be to help form the strategic direction of Engine use within the company. Engine technology is already used in critical areas within Framestore but we see that use expanding into new areas and a key component of your role will be to help lay the technical and strategic foundations of that expansion.
As Head of Engine you will be expected to provide strategic leadership, helping to build up a strong technical organisation that can deliver the long term goals, implementing modern best practices for process as well as a scalable infrastructure for all the work that happens in Engine at Framestore. You need to have exceptional levels of competency in relevant modern software standards, realtime technology trends and architecture, ensuring that Framestore is able to capitalise on advancements in engine development, to be at a technical and commercial advantage.
The Head of Engine role is predominantly one of leadership, yet it will remain key for the Head of Engine to keep an active hand in software development. Where innovation or RnD projects are identified, you will be expected to apportion the appropriate time to be more hands on, alongside building and directing the most appropriate team to deliver the project.
You will also be called upon to advise and give expert opinion on project feasibility and planning where those projects feature extensive use of Engine. The Head of Engine will be given clear and structured sales visibility, as an aid in ensuring that Framestore is able to maximise the potential of key opportunities.
So who are you?
We think you are a technical team lead, lead programmer or similar with games or film background, who is looking to step up and manage a larger coordinated operation that entails not just development, but providing a real time content creation platform that can scale.. You are good at strategizing, planning and breaking down larger projects. You are an excellent communicator who is used to working with people in production. You know how to balance a strong long term strategy against the immediate needs of key stakeholders.
- Engage with senior leads to help define the best technical solution(s) for their respective needs
- Hold briefings with the CTO and Technical Operations to ensure that their infrastructure is capable of realising the maximum potential for the proposed solution(s)
- Work with the TDs and Programming leads to ensure there is a consistency of best practice and development process across divisions, helping to increase efficiency
- Identify and spec potential opportunities within upcoming and existing products for licensing and delivering with the Software dept.
- Hiring. You will set guidelines, experience and skill levels and for hirings in Engine globally. Where possible you will join all senior interviews.
- Realtime product milestone reviews. Key overview of every project - advise, guidance and supervision on how to ensure projects stay on track at highest quality.
- Add value to the more consequential pitches that encompass Engine use, by way of orchestrating prototypes etc.
- Identify key focus areas for RnD that may aid significant new business opportunities with CG heads, business development leads and MD(s)
- Conduct targeted research into areas of innovation/advancements that would give any of the three core areas a significant competitive advantage
- Key senior advisor and advocate for Engine on the Innovations board.
- Excellent communication and inspiring leadership skills
- Excellent understanding of game development, realtime rendering and game engines
- Advanced expertise in Unreal Engine
- 10+ years of experience in software architecture or development
- Hands on project management experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong software architecture, mathematics and physics understanding
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- Knowledge of GPU programming and workflows
Source : Framestore