Wood Nuclear is recruiting for a Geologial Modelling Consultant to be based at our offices in Harwell, Oxfordshire.
The international consensus is that higher active radioactive waste should be disposed of in a geological disposal facility (GDF), an engineered facility located deep underground. In the UK this will result in one of the largest, most exciting and important engineering and scientific projects in the 21st century.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood is a leading supplier of scientific consultancy and engineering services to the UK and overseas radioactive waste management organisations. We are looking to recruit a highly motivated candidate to be a consultant/mathematical modeller, to work on a diverse range of projects. The successful applicant will be expected to work at our office at Harwell in Oxfordshire and will be part of a multi-disciplinary team (including geologists, chemists, physicists and mathematicians) to deliver a range of projects on behalf of customers such as RWM Ltd, NDA, LLWR Ltd, Magnox Ltd, Sellafield Ltd, as well as a number of other international waste management organisations.
The team at Harwell has led the field of research and assessment work related to the safe disposal of radioactive waste, for over 30 years. The team has a wide breath of both national and internationally respected expertise to provide consultancy, modelling and laboratory studies to underpin the science, technology and engineering to allow the safe disposal of radioactive waste.
You will be involved in delivering a diverse range of desk-based consultancy projects undertaken for our customers in the UK and overseas. Key aspects of the role are listed below.
- Provision of input to a range of technical areas, this is likely to include geological and geotechnical modelling or other forms of simple and complex modelling used to underpin the safety of a future geological disposal facility in the UK.
- Provision of fracture / fracture mechanics / rock mechanics modelling used to support geological disposal in the UK and overseas.
- Production of concise and well-written technical reports and presentation of results to customers.
- The role requires an understanding of the underlying requirements of our customers, and how we can meet those requirements.
- A good first degree in mathematics, natural sciences or engineering
- Ideally a PhD in in mathematics, natural sciences or engineering
- Experience of the application of modelling to the geosciences (e.g. rock mechanics desirable)
- Technically able and can innovative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of mathematical modelling
- Experience of scientific programming
- Ability to work on a number of varied projects
- Ability to work in a teams
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.