Job Title:General Operative
Reporting to: Supervisor / Team leader / Ganger
Job Purpose(brief description of role):Deliver Routine, Winter and Reactive Maintenance as directed by the Supervisor and also Renewal Schemes within our Operational Capabilities, carrying out a variety of highway maintenance duties as instructed on a day to day basis to ensure the efficient running of the network.
The job involves working outside in all sorts of variable weather conditions, although sections of road are often cordoned off, they sometimes remain open, with a large volume of traffic making it noisy and potentially hazardous.
The job involves a large amount of physical work, using a range of tools and carrying heavy materials. It can also be dirty. Employer will provide operatives with personal protective equipment (PPE), including clothing, high-visibility jackets, ear protectors, eye protection, hard hats and boots.
Tasks/Responsibilities as follows:
· Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of, and compliance with, general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
· Under direction of the Lead Installer, carry out Inspection, Maintenance, Repair and Renewal of Road Restraint Systems.
· Provide the safe installation of TTM layouts in accordance with the appropriate drawings and instructions and carry out routine maintenance activities within established TTM making best use road space.
· Carry out all other maintenance duties required to keep the network safe and resilient, in accordance with the MRP/AMOR and as instructed by the Supervisor. Including;
o Installing & removing temporary traffic management systems
o Widening and re-surfacing roads
o Laying, widening and re-surfacing pavements and installing kerbs
o Repairing potholes and cracks
o Digging access trenches for cable and pipe laying
o Litter picking, Debris removal, Grass cutting, Vegetation cut backs
o Severe Weather activities
o Installing & maintaining road signs and fencing
o Using pavement gritting equipment during very cold spells and clearing snow
· Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
· Good communication skills
· Promote and value equality and diversity
· Punctual and reliable
· Full clean driving licence
· Ability to handle tools and machinery
· Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with the general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Procedures Manual
· High level of alertness and concentration
· The ability to follow instructions
· Work closely with team members, contribute to the promotion of Company customer care values by ensuring the general public are always dealt with in a polite and courteous manner.
· Ensure Company vehicles are kept in good repair and clean and are adequately stocked with materials, keeping an inventory of stock used.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.