Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL are looking for a Gas Safety Engineer to join the Gas Technology team. The role will be working on client sites performing the duties of a Responsible Person (Gas). The Gas Safety Engineer will undertake the practical implementation of the Gas Safety Management Programme for the gas networks within a defined area. The role will implement the Gas Safety Management Plan at site level and will be responsible for the control of gas activities.
- Undertake physical gas surveys – determine the physical condition of gas installation (pipeline survey)
- Ensure as far as reasonably practical that all persons within the establishment(s) observe the requirements of the Gas Safety Case
- Provide professional and technical support, and advice, where required to maintenance teams and end users and coordinate any planned maintenance requiring work on the gas network including emergency works
- Support the Help Desk in responding to requests for professional and technical advice
- Keep and maintain the Gas Safety Management Plan, records and update Management Information Systems (MIS) as required
- Provide support and where directed, manage gas projects providing technical input and producing business cases
- Travel to other sites within regional area
- Maintain training, familiarisation and knowledge across all sites within the regional area of Gas networks, installations and skilled staff
- Control Access and act as custodian to the document centre and provide documents when required
- If a site contains a hazardous area, actively communicate and co-operate with the hazardous area manager
- Assess the competence of Gas Skilled Persons for appointment and review experience and performance before re-appointment, and at other times as necessary. Ensure skilled persons are aware of any restrictions related to their work. Where necessary and after discussion with the GSM, suspend the appointment of Skilled Persons
- Update MIS skills register element and upload copies of certificates of registered operatives
- Review risk registers and follow maintenance and management processes, including approving and authorising site-specific risk assessments
- Liaise with helpdesk to provide support during a gas emergency situation
- Attend and support the organisation of any site-based emergency event training with the end user and gas supplier and provide assistance to the emergency services
- Investigate any gas incidents or reported gas leaks and complete incident reports
- Notify the External Gas Distribution Network owner or Energy Team of any changes in use which may affect gas consumption
- Undertake specific training to develop and maintain gas knowledge
- Undertake mandatory refresher training.
- Demonstrate leadership in in support of project delivery and technical credibility within your delivery team, the wider DNV GL business and with clients
- New opportunities identified and followed up to ensure a successful outcome
- Delivery of high quality work for clients (internal and external) and obtain feedback from clients to reflect high standards
- Clear technical abilities and knowledge which is shared with the wider team / Section
- Communication with clients (internal and external)
- Demonstration of rapidly increasing knowledge and competencies related to operational support and activities undertaken across the Business
- Responsible for achieving designated personal utilisation targets (which may vary according to circumstances)
- Undertake and deliver other supporting activities as required, to ensure the effective delivery of customer projects to time, cost and quality.
Technical / Professional Expertise and Qualifications Required:
- Good technical qualification in relevant area
- IGEM registration
- Understands and applies commercial and financial principals.
- Demonstrates good technical and commercial understanding
- Can work with pace, focus, resilience and optimism to overcome obstacles and deliver the right solutions first time
- Creative thinker, capable of challenging the status quo and driving success
- Able to deliver challenging objectives and drive performance behaviour in a motivational way
- The role demands drive, initiative and a high-energy level
- Strong communication skills applicable to technical reporting and customer interfaces and presentations
- Able to demonstrate a range of influencing styles and an outstanding communicator
- Able to think strategically and shape solutions to convert prospects and market initiatives
- Team player – able to build internal global relationships to drive focus on Gas Technology Consulting services across the world
- Willingness to travel within UK and overseas essential.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the technical advisor to the oil and gas industry. We bring a broader view to complex business and technology risks in global and local markets. Providing a neutral ground for industry cooperation, we create and share knowledge with our customers, setting standards for technology development and implementation. From project initiation to decommissioning, our independent experts enable companies to make the right choices for a safer, smarter and greener future.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!