Reports to Head of Finance
Location Tempsford – Travel Required
An excellent opportunity for a well-rounded and ambitious senior finance professional to join a fast paced finance function looking after Kier’s major civil engineering and infrastructure projects. This is a high profile role within Kier with excellent opportunities for development and to drive improvements and efficiencies in the finance team and across the business.
The role will suit a self-starter, keen to progress in an evolving and growing business with a proven track record of managing a team. The candidate must have a proven track record of developing a solid commercial understanding and working closely with and influencing operational and commercial teams, often to a senior level. This role is key to ensuring that the finance team is immersed in the day to day business operations, driving success and challenging the business.
- Work closely with the Head of Finance to deliver and analyse quality and accurate financial information and assist with driving the business to understand the information and provide performance, strategic and risk insist to the Senior Management Team and Kier Group.
- Oversee all financial aspects including monthly management and group reporting, contract accounting, Joint Operation accounting, overheads, project recharge allocations, statutory account preparation, tax pack preparation, short term cash flow projections and quarterly forecasting.
- Control the Infrastructure balance sheet and ensure robust controls and processes exist
- Manage a team of around 7 people with 3 direct reports at the Manager level
- Motivate and lead finance team members by clarifying roles, agreeing development plans and providing helpful feedback
- Manage the relationship and deliverables from the Finance Shared Service Centre in Manchester and drive efficiencies
- Assist with the set-up of Joint Operations financial processes and teams
- Liaise and visit Joint Operation finance teams on a regular basis to ensure Kier accounting standards are being adhered to
- Oversee, with the Finance Manager, client audits of project costs
- Assist with the integration the of newly acquired businesses and / or reorganisations
- Assist Head of Finance with the review of the annual budget and quarterly forecasts
- Oversee the preparation of the overhead annual budget and quarterly forecasts including challenging budget holders and identifying and driving cost saving opportunities
- Manage the audit process and relationship with the external and internal auditors
- Attend monthly contract review meetings to discuss with operational and commercial colleagues the financial and commercial reporting and provide analysis of operational performance to deliver profit improvement
- Drive and promote best practice across the Finance function
- Lead the implementation of Hyperion for the business unit
Key skills and experience
- Highly committed team player with the ability to develop relationships across the business and the ability to work with their own initiative
- Ability to manage pressure and meet strict deadlines producing accurate information with
- excellent time management and organisational skills
- Trustworthy and self-motivated
- Ability to operate in a service driven culture, continuously challenging and seeking to be better, going above and beyond the call of duty where necessary
- Able to manage upwards and downwards and to mentor colleagues
- Financial modelling skills (including macros) and a detailed understanding of financial forecasting is essential
- Must possess a professional finance qualification such as CIMA, ACCA or ACA
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, practices and procedures
- IT skills including advanced Microsoft Office
- Experience of Oracle or similar operating systems
Qualification and industry experience:
- 3 -4 year post qualification
- Previous experience in a senior accounting role working closely with operational and commercial colleagues
- Previous experience within a construction organisation
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.