Ferry Maintenance Assistant (Plant Operator)
Salary: £22,974.96 - £23,434.44 inclusive of allowances
Benefits: Additional benefits include holiday allowance starting at 23 days (plus bank holidays), generous maternity and parental leave, a competitive local government pension scheme, sick pay, and option to join the cycle to work scheme. All uniform and safety equipment is supplied by the organisation.
Hours: 37 hrs/week + 5.5 hrs/week contracted overtime
Location: Cornwall, PL11
Tamar Bridge & Torpoint Ferry Joint Committee seek Ferry Mechanical Technicians to join the maintenance team at Torpoint Ferry. This is a dynamic and safety critical role in a unique environment. Please read all the details before deciding whether the role is suitable for you and what we are looking for. This summary should be read in conjunction with the full job description and person specification.
At Torpoint Ferry we provide a service to approximately 2.5 million vehicles and 750k pedestrians and cyclists per year. Three ferries provide a 24-hour service, 365 days a year and is an essential transport link for the people living in South East Cornwall. The Torpoint Ferry crossing is the busiest estuarial vehicular crossing in the United Kingdom.
The three chain ferries come under Maritime and Coastguard Agency regulations and are in class with Lloyds Register. They are unique vessels offering a wide range of both engineering and operational challenges.
The Maintenance Assistant (Plant Operator) reports directly to the Technical Manager, who oversees the entire maintenance team.
The primary role will consist of utilising a telehandler and power washing equipment to maintain the slipways in a clean and safe state (working to tide times), using environmentally friendly chemicals, and assist in engineering support activities.
· Responsible for the management and maintenance of the organisations power washers, lifting equipment, ladders and platforms
· Planned maintenance tasks around the ferries and the shore site.
· You will be asked to develop innovative solutions to ensure that a safe, efficient and reliable service is maintained, with the minimum loss of service to the public where ever possible.
· Have a responsibility to ensure the highest standards of health and safety are always maintained, following safe systems of work and risk assessments.
· Responsible for assisting the mechanical and electrical technicians to maintain the service of the ferries
· There will be ‘call outs’ outside of your normal working hours
· To occasionally work outside normal working hours on specific tasks as directed by the Technical Manager
· To respond to out of hours emergency callouts
The Ideal Candidate:
· Full Driving Licence.
· Telescopic Operators Handling Certificate
· IPAF (International Power Access Federation) Certificate
· 2 years’ experience working with plant machinery
· A thorough working knowledge of Lifting and Slinging regulations and a good knowledge of Health and Safety regulations
· Able to take independent decisions and give clear instructions to colleagues
· Able to prioritise workload
· Able to keep clear, accurate records
· Able to write clear comprehensive reports
· Team player
· Prepared to be flexible to support manning and rota requirements
· Keen to develop both their own skills
· Keen to support the continued development of the organisation
Successful completion of a medical will be required before a final job offer can be made and this standard must be maintained throughout the period of employment.
If the above sounds like you and you match the criteria, we would welcome your application
Closing date: 09:00 on 27 July 2020 Interviews: week commencing 03 August 2020
To learn more about this exciting opportunity or for an informal conversation please contact Lee Hunt, Ferry Technical Manager on 01752 812233.
If you have not heard anything by 01 August 2020 please assume you have been unsuccessful. We are sorry but due to the expected volume of applicants we are unable to inform people individually or give feedback to people who are not successful in reaching the interview stages.
If you feel you are the ideal candidate APPLY today to be taken to the company website where you will find an application form. This application form is essential to the application process and CV’s aloe will not be accepted.
Keywords: Telescopic Operator, Site Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Hydraulics, Compressed Air Systems, Crane Engineer, Mechanic, Plant Engineer, Automotive Engineer, Engineering Vacancies, Agricultural Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Service Engineer, Automotive, Mechanical, Vehicle Technician, Plant Technician, Heavy Equipment Operation, Mobile Plant Worker.