Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The EU/RoW Medical Affairs organization is transforming with the creation of two distinct Therapeutic Areas in Hematology Oncology and Sleep. Both are critical to the long term success of Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
This role will be the Medical Affairs Lead for Jazz Pharmaceuticals in Hematology Oncology accountable for marketed products.
The candidate will need broad therapeutic expertise in Hematological Malignancies and Oncology, along with a proven track record of defining strategy and leading others to action across EU/RoW.
Primary Objective/ Purpose of Position:
- This position will oversee hematology/oncology medical affairs outside of the US and, as part of that, oversee the continued EU launches of approved medicines.
- This position will lead the Medical Affairs function in hematology/oncology and be responsible for the development of overall Medical Affairs strategy and activities, as well as building the Medical Affairs capabilities in the team and represent the Hematology/Oncology Medical Affairs function internally and externally.
- A top candidate will feel at home in a fast-paced, agile environment with a start-up business feel, and will be intrigued by venturing into unchartered waters with a team of enthusiastic explorers.
- Help attract and retain talent individuals to the Hematology/Oncology Business Unit outside the US, guiding the company’s thinking on Medical Affairs structure, areas of expertise, work streams, investment, talent acquisition, etc.
- Provide day-to-day clinical and medical guidance while working closely on joint projects with the medical affairs team and other departments within the organization (clinical development, commercial, etc.). Projects will include medical affairs studies, scientific congress/conference strategy and planning, advisory boards, development of educational goals, for medical education, publications, field force training, review of medical information standard response letters, health economics and epidemiology analyses, and marketing/policy related projects.
- Provide day-to-day guidance and coaching to several experienced EU/RoW medical directors in Hematology/Oncology and work with the Head of Medical Affairs, EU/RoW on key strategic projects
- Identify, develop, and maintain relationships with key EU and International thought leaders. Collaborate with thought leaders to develop clinical therapeutic concepts that warrant additional study, identify messages for scientific communications based on preclinical or clinical data, and gain feedback on strategies to support the scientific and medical affairs plan for marketed products.
- Collaborate with and provide scientific and clinical support and training for internal departments, including Marketing, Sales, Medical Science Liaisons, Clinical Operations, Research, Corporate Development, Market Access, Government Policy, and Investor Relations, and for external audiences, such as patient advocacy groups, physicians, other health care providers, and formulary and clinical guidelines decision makers.
- Provide scientific input into manuscripts for publication and presentation at scientific meetings
- Participate in appropriate cross-functional and cross-company Clinical and Commercial teams to inform brand strategies and tactics and represent Medical Affairs.
- Collaborate with Clinical Development in the strategic planning, management, and execution of Phase IIIB and Phase IV trials. Define the medical strategy governing Investigator Initiated Research and direct the proposals review and grants process.
- Provide clinical and scientific support in responding to inquiries from healthcare professionals and managed care organizations.
- Provide medical review of promotional material.
- Monitor ongoing Medical Affairs performance and stakeholder feedback in a robust fact-based business review process and identify opportunities for improvement, focusing on the development of efficiencies and operational improvements, such as administration efficiency, cost control, revenue management, legal compliance and human resource management.
- Manage Medical Affairs resources (including budget) across the Business Unit
- Work with the Global Molecule Team to evaluate and develop additional product indications.
- Work with the Business Development Team to assess the strategic fit of other potential assets within Hematology/Oncology.
- Provide thought leadership, industry best practices, trends, risks, etc.
- Act decisively and independently, having the confidence and ability to provide clear direction and make decisions (strategic & tactical) without guidance or affirmation (but knowing when to inform/seek leadership buy-in)
- Engage constructively challenge others across all leadership levels.
- Establish clear roles, responsibilities, objectives and metrics for your team members.
- Attract, retain and develop people by proactively investing in development of others
- Ensure compliance with company and regulatory policies and requirements.
- Coach and develop the medical staff in Hematology Oncology. Directly supervise EU/RoW medical leads for marketed products
- Partner with Executive Medical Director Sleep to ensure cross portfolio lessons shared and best practice adopted
Other duties as assigned could include, but not limited to, projects and initiatives relating to Pricing, Mergers and Acquisitions, and other corporate level functions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable therapeutic area knowledge expertise gained through industry and or clinic preferably in Haematological malignancies or adjacent diseases
- Proven leadership of medical affairs teams in Hematology/Oncology
- Extensive working knowledge of external networks, cooperative groups and researchers in the field of hematology/oncology
- Proven track record of launching new clinical entities in country and across geographies
- Extensive experience of developing and executing medical affairs plans
- High degree of professionalism, integrity and collaboration required.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with post marketing Phase IV and Investigator initiated studies preferred.
- Experience with strategic and tactical planning for marketed products preferred.
- Strong leadership, team building, negotiation and ability to execute.
- Travel Required
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- MD or equivalent qualification preferred
- Working knowledge of industry codes of practice and pharmaceutical medicine training
Description of Physical Demands
- Responsibilities may require working outside of “normal” hours, in order to meet business demands.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.