Birketts is a full service, top 100 UK law firm, operating in Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Norwich and the surrounding areas.
With a rich heritage spanning over 150 years we’ve built an enviable track record advising businesses, institutions and individuals in the UK and internationally.
Throughout our history our ethos has remained simple: we provide clear legal advice and value and insight to our clients.
We set out to truly understand our clients’ needs and help realise their ambitions.
We believe that through this approach and a combination of technical excellence and high quality service we can develop long-lasting partnerships and become our clients' solicitor of choice.
We have one of the largest dedicated property departments within any firm outside London covering property investment, development and management; construction and property litigation. The role is based in the firm’s dedicated property team.
To work as part of the property team to provide professional, pro-active support to the Interbay team and to the wider fee earning property team.
Playing an important role within the Interbay Team you will be responsible for:
- Dealing with all post completion work work from the team to include liaising with clients, brokers, solicitors and third parties,
- Preparing narratives and bills and keep billing up to date;
- Maintaining and updating the weekly status reports on matters as required by the team leader;
- Submitting Stamp Duty Returns and payment on completion.
- Preparation and submission of Companies House applications to register security within the requisite timescales
- Preparation and submission of AP1s and other Land Registry forms to the Land Registry within priority period.
- Liaising with the land registry on requisitions raised following completion to include preparation of the paperwork required in order to release restrictions or notices at the registry;
- Dealing with file closure and scheduling and managing deeds to ensure records are kept up to date
Dealing with post-completion accounts and billing reconciliation including the payment of third party invoices.
- To immediately clarify instructions from fee earners should they be unclear or if deadlines are not made explicit;
- To respond to internal and external telephone enquiries politely and professionally and take accurate telephone messages(name/number/company), passing them on to the relevant fee earners etc.;
- To proactively support other members of the team and to provide cover as and when necessary to ensure that work is completed to a high standard and meets the required deadlines.
- To provide full support to fee earners in the full range of activities that are performed and to carry out any other duties as reasonably requested.
- The ideal candidate for the role will be an enthusiastic team worker with previous office administration experience looking for an opportunity to join a dynamic market leading firm. Previous administration experience within a legal environment would be advantageous.
- You will be enthusiastic and an extremely well organised individual with a positive attitude and excellent communication skills. Excellent IT ability will be required, with good knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook). You will have strong time management skills, able to manage a varied workload and work efficiently and effectively under pressure and to deadlines.
- To show a positive approach and interest in the work that your fee earners are undertaking;
- Show initiative when responding to queries and actively try to seek solutions to problems;
- To support and build working relationships with your own fee earners as well as other members of the team and to actively work for the interests of the whole team;
- Educated to GCSE or O level standard or equivalent.
- The role may suit a recent graduate who is looking for a career in the law or a candidate with a strong administration background.
- Alternatively the firm may consider a less experienced candidate in a trainee capacity with full training and support provided.
- Excellent spelling and punctuation
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Ability to use discretion
- Excellent IT skills, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Positive and enthusiastic approach to team work
- Good telephone manner
- Adaptable and flexible
- Self-motivated, ability to use initiative and provide pro-active support to fee-earners
- Ability to pay attention to detail and check own work
- Reliable and well organised
- Ability to remain calm and work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Commitment to ongoing learning and development
We are committed to recruiting individuals on merits of suitability for each role, on the basis of qualifications and experience. All applications are treated fairly and equally regardless of sexual orientation, race, disability, religious beliefs and any other protected characteristic, ensuring that there are equal opportunities at all stages of the recruitment process.