The Senior Architect (f/m/d) is a senior position dealing with our largest and most complex programs and opportunities.
Recognised as a technology expert, subject matter expert and thought leader, the Senior Architect (f/m/d) provides technical consultancy to the engineering and business teams, and will engage with senior R&D, Product Management and business stakeholders to ensure the technical architecture and data modelling supports the execution of critical and transformative business functions.
The Senior Architect (f/m/d) is a specialist in solution and service design, leveraging an up-to-date knowledge of applicable technologies.
As a key member of the global team, the Senior Architect (f/m/d) is responsible for the architecture of all solutions within a Product Line, ensuring it’s aligned with the Enterprise Architecture (f/m/d) defined by the Chief Architect.
eResearchTechnology (ERT) partners with the pharmaceutical industry to gather and scrub clinical trial data, leading to quicker, more reliable trial outcomes.
Our contribution to improving patients' lives motivates us every day!
Join us as a Senior Architect (f/m/d) at our location in Estenfeld (near Würzburg) in Germany!
This diverse role will involve:
- Track new technologies and vendors in the Digital Transformation space. Assess strategic technology trends, evaluate technical frameworks, provide strategic architectural roadmap recommendations and utilise this knowledge to drive architectural roadmap development.
- Conduct research and hold discussions with technology providers to identify and/or evaluate and validate emerging technologies that would enhance or compete with the ERT’s products.
- Create and maintain the Product Line’s solution design within the overall Enterprise Architecture. Provide input for architects transferring the Enterprise Architecture to a solution’s implementation architecture by providing solution-specific detail for application, data, and technology views of the architecture.
- Maintain and manage architectural governance, ensuring adherence with ERT technical standards, gaining sign-off for proposed architectures & maintaining appropriate version control and documentation.
- Provide technical recommendations to senior management. Ensure that the overall architecture of all technology used to support the ERT business is sound, reliable, testable and maintainable. Contribute to defining development standards for the organisation.
- Oversee the architectural design and integrity of significant R&D delivery programs, guiding architectural delivery through DLC phases to ensure the architectural blueprint is realised.
- Contribute to the definition of the vision/scope document by evaluating the technical implications of the projects for implementation feasibility. Provide guidance on the pros and cons of possible implementation approaches and validate initial technology choices. Create the overall logical design of the solution during the specification phase.
- Create high-level technical designs according to ERTs SWI for Software Architecture documentation. Review solution architectures to ensure they match the enterprise architecture, evaluating alternative design solutions to meet agreed business needs, technical standards and best practices.
- Ensure solution architectures meet documented business requirements, non-functional requirements & KPIs (including service level, availability, user experience, transactional and security).
- Ensure solution architectures are cost efficient and that effective monitoring, reporting and metering controls are built in (compute, network and storage costs).
- Ensure “security-by-design” of applications and data, including:
- System/device/application architecture ensures compliance with applicable data privacy and security laws and regulations.
- Applications and application interfaces (APIs) meet industry standards required to protect customer data and meet compliance and legal obligations.
- Applications data input and output security, encryption methodologies stored locally (device), in transit (network) and persisted (database) is defined.
- Data processing functions are documented end-to-end per data flow.
- Act as a quality gate for architectural artefacts as well as a consultant for other specification artefacts at the request of the author or reviewer. Effectively communicate the architectural vision to all stakeholders, ensuring buy-in and compliance
- Effectively lead a team of Architects building new or extending existing products. Mentor other Architects and engineering staff. Provide training on new technologies and development standards.
What do we expect from you?
As a recognised technology and subject matter expert, the Enterprise Architect (f/m/d) role requires candidates who possess the following knowledge, experience, skills and qualifications
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in Computer Science (or a related field)
- TOGAF certification desirable
- Extensive software development experience utilizing Agile and DevOps, CI / CD
- architecting full stack solutions
- use of UML 2.1
- software development
- use of Enterprise Architect (Sparx Systems) desirable
- application migration to Cloud
- Domain-Driven Design / Bounded Context Analysis
- Security (Encryption, PKI)
- Identity & access management
- Kubernetes design and deployment
- developing technology roadmaps
- AWS or Azure design and delivery desirable
- Knowledge of
- software engineering frameworks and methodologies
- risk management techniques
- Good working knowledge of standard service models (like ITIL)
- Infrastructure automation
- a wide array of Infrastructure and Platform technologies including distributed data stores, container management and serverless architecture.
- IaaS and Private Cloud solutions
- Cloud Security best practices (certification desirable, e.g. AWS or Azure Architect certification)
- Understanding of data-centre infrastructure.
- Understanding of network communications and related technologies.
What can you expect from us?
- Competitive Salary plus Annual bonus target (Based on EBITDA and personal performance)
- Company pension scheme
- Support your professional development through internal and external training and certification programs
- Flexible working times with working time accounts to support the work-life balance
- Modern office building with an on-site canteen offering freshly cooked local dishes (with vegetarian option)
- The office in Estenfeld is well connected to the transport network. Free onsite parking is available, and for public transport users, ERT pays the costs of a ticket for the WVV (Würzburger Versorgungs- und Verkehrs GmbH)
- Employee Exchange Programs, as great opportunities to learn more of what others do:
- Global employee exchange program, meaning you can apply to work in any of our global locations for 4 weeks
- Local 8 hour exchange program where you can work in another department for 8 hours
- We have both social and wellness committees, so we enjoy celebrations and free fruit
- Global Hackathon Events
We look forward to receiving your application. Please indicate your salary expectation and your availability and send your application by using our ERT career page.
Interested in working for ERT but this isn't quite the right job for you? Please see our website for our other current openings.