- Requisition ID: 222718
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E, UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
This position is for an Engineering Manager (EM) who will work a multi-year United Kingdom (UK) nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi-billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The Engineering Manager will provide leadership and strategic engagement for a major construction and engineering company to develop business opportunities within the United Kingdom. The individual will also provide leadership to a multi-discipline group of Engineers in developing studies, conceptual design, detailed design and support for construction/startup. The candidate will oversee engineering quality and develop engineering schedules/budgets to accomplish project mission. The Engineering Manager will conduct routine assessments of the engineering design and will communicate regularly with clients and regulators to enable project mission.
The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered. The work will be performed in various locations across the UK.
This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Interface with clients and regulators to discuss progress, receive feedback, and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Develop resource loaded schedules for engineering in support of project milestones.
- Develop staffing plans /schedules and ensure work assignments support project milestones.
- Direct execution and documentation of engineering workscope (criteria development, study completion, design development, procurement support, construction support and startup support).
- Inform management of major emerging technical, cost and schedule issues, as well as providing direction to the team consistent with project/program direction.
- Respond to project/program needs in order to achieve a lowest Total Installed Cost of the project.
- Ensure design and implementation of tools and processes across the engineering function to support the new matrix organization.
- Provide subject matter input and leadership on all Engineering considerations.
- Direct and coordinate engineering activities for the project in accordance with the execution plan and schedule.
- Review engineering progress against approved schedules, evaluates changes and initiates corrective action when required.
- Supervise review of bid analyses and recommendations for procurement of equipment material and services within engineering’s scope of responsibility.
- Help manage the flow of information required from third parties to assure the timely progress of the engineering work.
- From a programmatic perspective, ensure that technical risk assessments are complete, and that engineering design and corresponding design documentation is in compliance with the Quality Assurance Project Plan and associated procedures.
- Provide input to and track the engineering elements of a project capital estimate quantities and budgets.
- Review major changes or deviations in project scope, project material quantities, budget or schedule, and assist particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
- Monitor the use of available engineering computer programs, technical advances and engineering management control techniques on the projects assigned.
- Formulate and recommend for approval, engineering plans and programs
- Champion the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project.
- Accountable for configuration management of design, compliance to standards and requirements
- Understanding of engineering design processes and configuration management practices.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials and applications of computers 2-D and 3-D computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided engineering (CAE) to engineering problems to ensure the design is cost effective, in accordance with applicable safety, health, environmental regulations, customer requirements and engineering codes and standards.
- Broad knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards, engineering processes and design criteria in all engineering disciplines.
- Extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials, applications of computer software to engineering.
- Must have working knowledge of engineering procedures, covering discipline deliverables, production and control, as well as organization and responsibilities for the engineering department.
- Thorough knowledge of business practices, project forecasting and control systems required.
- Must have Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field from an accredited university or college.
- Must have led Engineering in a multi-discipline major infrastructure programme within an EPC/EPCM delivery model.
- Must have managed Engineering delivery on at least one project of greater than £500M capital value.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an SC Security Clearance.
- Must have Professional or Charter Engineer License/Qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Must be a UK National (UK/US dual citizens may be considered).
- Must have delivered at least one nuclear or defence project throughout the full project lifecycle (from concept to completion).
- Must have experience of leading a team of engineers working across multiple projects.
- Experience facilitating multi-discipline meetings to resolve technical and related requirements compliance issues.
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants or utilities.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication; planning and organizational skills are essential.
- Experience with managing projects and interfacing with Consortium or JV Partners.
- Proven experience in developing and successful delivery of engineering workscope in an engineering, procurement, construction, startup and operations environment.
- Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing, and solving problems.
- Experienced in managing design packages undertaken by other contractors.
- Experienced in setting design delivery strategy including in reference to RIBA and CIBSE lifecycle, and in following through on verification that design has reached appropriate maturity stage.
- Experienced collaborating with technical and design authorities in a licensed site environment – including specific experience of working with UK Regulators: ONR and DNSR.
- Experienced in managing key supporting specialist resources involved in;
- Safety Case management
- Systems Engineering
- Information Management, BIM and Document Control
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
- Understanding and experience working on an EPC project during the construction phase as a Project Engineering Manager/Project Engineer or Project Manager.
- Experience with managing projects and interfacing with Consortium or JV Partners.
- Substantial experience of prior construction or operating plant major maintenance projects experience in an engineering or project management capacity.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.