Smart Metering Technical Operations (SMETS2)
Hours: Monday to Friday (40 hours per week)
Location: Colindale, London
Would you like to build your career in one of the UK's fastest growing companies? Here at Utility Warehouse, we pride ourselves on delivering award-winning service to our members. If you take pride in what you do – come and join us!
What makes UW a great fit for you?
Smart Energy is at the heart of our customer proposition at Utility Warehouse and we aim to deliver each one of our energy customers smart technology over the next 12 months. To help us achieve this, we are setting up a new Smart Technical Ops team to support and problem solve for our customers during this change.
Who we’re looking for
You’ll be someone with solid experience in the SMETS2 metering world and are keen to gain a deeper technical understanding of, and have an interest in the future of smart. You’ll be working in an ever changing challenging environment with a steep learning curve so must be motivated.
We’re on the lookout for someone who:
- Has a level of technical experience working with SMETS2 devices or systems (6 months minimum)
- Is patient, with a positive and proactive outlook as the SMETS2 rollout presents new, constant and exciting challenges!
- Has the ability and willingness to learn new concepts quickly
- Has strong analytical skills and an eye for detail for finding defects and solutions to technical issues
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills, you will be working with multiple internal and external teams
- Is self starting drive and the ability to work effectively and proactively as part of a small team
- Has the willingness to take ownership and find solutions to complex issues.
What you'll do
You’ll be working alongside the Smart Programme team, where you’ll have the opportunity to learn the skills and gain the experience to become a technical expert within SMETS2 smart metering. You’ll be working at the forefront of the team - learning how to resolve the technical issues we already know about, as well as discovering and resolving new ones as they emerge. I In short, you’ll be able to handle all manner of technically centered tasks and help us to deliver a successful SMETS2 smart meter roll out.
On a day to day basis this looks like:
- Supporting the very first volume of SMETS2 production (live) installs by providing 2nd and 3rd line support to Operations and our meter installation Company - UW Home Services
- Service and Incident Management utilising different systems and software to manage technical relationships with a variety of third parties (DCC, Utiligroup, Meter Manufacturers, Internal and external teams).
- Finding consistencies within technical issues and putting together process guides to share learning with other teams (operations, contact centre etc,) and preventing the need for escalation
- Providing a triage service for metering incidents from live meters and from the testing team, using expert knowledge and utilising technical relationships with third parties to tackle escalated technical issues.
- Managing the roll out and assurance of device firmware
- Meter portfolio management support, including tracking compliance with new products, supporting the Data & Insight teams in providing requirements for reporting, maintaining the document repository and supporting our MOPs
- Support early life tracking of installed devices to ensure correct practices are being followed by MOPs and to catch potential issues early
- Manage inventory of test assets within the UW test lab
- Support the SMETS2 test team in producing and appending test scripts and carrying out device behavior related Functional Testing
- SMETS2 Escalation. You will be the point of escalation for technical queries within UW and UWHS and act as part of a resolver group.
- Device Manufacturer technical relationship management. Ensure regular engagement with our device manufacturers to keep on top of technical issues and report progress to management.
The perks of working for us!
As an award-winning FTSE 250 company we offer stability, recognition and career progression. In addition to your annual salary, you’ll also benefit from 25 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays), a pension scheme and share options.
Our HQ is based in Colindale, London where you will benefit from some great perks including:
- State of the art facilities with free parking, subsidised canteen, pool tables, table tennis tables and quiet/sleep pods
- Health & wellbeing benefits including onsite personal training, yoga and pilates, discounted healthcare & gym membership, an onsite nurse, gourmet society membership and more!
- An active social calendar including monthly movie nights, quiz nights, family parties and plenty more!
- Clubs & committees for employees with a shared interest such as sports, reading, charity, diversity etc
Basically, whether you fancy joining our CEO Andrew Lindsay for breakfast to find out more about what’s going on at UW or joining some colleagues for a movie night screening in our auditorium – there is something for everyone!
Get to know us
Unlike other large companies, here at UW, we continue to have a welcoming, family feel - that’s probably why lots of the team who joined us from the beginning are still here. We embrace both diversity and inclusivity. So, we’ve built a culture where everyone counts – one where you’ll feel valued and respected.
What are you waiting for?
Do you have what it takes to be part of our award-winning team? Take a plunge an apply now…be part of something special, be part of our team purple!
Once we receive your application you will receive an email or call from our amazing resourcing team within 48 hours. This is your opportunity to shine and tell them why you would be perfect for the UW family.
Want a sneak peak into what it’s like to work for us?