What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Markel Law LLP (Markel Law) is an independent SRA authorised and regulated legal business offering services to both insured and non-insured clients. We are expert in legal services and specialise in civil and employment disputes and regulatory law. Our legal advice line helps over 200,000 callers every year and our award winning Law Hub is used by thousands of businesses on a daily basis.
Our clients and business partners comprise businesses, high net worth individuals, and associations across a broad spectrum of industries. We operate out of offices in Manchester, London and Croydon and employ over 60 specialist solicitors. Our legal teams guide, support, defend and protect clients through a wide range of key legal services.
We are looking for an experienced employment litigator to join our team.
Duties and accountabilities
- Advising insurers, insured and private clients in relation to general employment law issues and existing or contemplated Employment disputes prior to the issue of proceedings.
- All aspects of ACAS early conciliation including settlement and agreements.
- Providing opinions on prospects.
- Conducting proceedings in the Employment Tribunal on behalf of insured or private clients.
- Reviewing papers, drafting claims or responses, complying with all case management instructions, preparing witness statements.
- Briefing Counsel, attending hearings personally where appropriate.
- Ensuring that insurers are kept up-dated in relation to prospects.
- Bringing or defending appeals in the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) (and if necessary beyond) on behalf of insured or private clients.
- Complying with all EAT directions for case preparation including routinely reviewing and updating insurers, insured and private clients in relation to prospects as the case develops.
- Ensuring that appeal hearings are appropriately addressed, conducting advocacy in the Tribunal or by briefing Counsel to attend the hearing. This to specifically include travel to and attendance at EAT proceedings in person throughout the UK.
- Assisting colleagues in other departments in disseminating employment law knowledge and experience, to include:-
- Assisting in the drafting of employment law material for use by colleagues or clients
- Assisting in the presentation of courses in employment law for the benefit of colleagues, clients or prospective clients
- Assisting colleagues in other departments by, where necessary, conducting disciplinary or grievance hearings or investigations.
- Keep accurate records and time record in an appropriate manner.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience of communicating effectively in a professional environment with a range of people
- Good IT skills across Microsoft, Word, Outlook etc
- Excellent data entry skills and attention to detail/accuracy
- Have excellent customer care skills
- Be commercially aware at all times
- Have an analytical and problem–solving approach to advice
- Be able to work in a fast paced environment and uphold company standards
- Have good document drafting skills and an eye for detail
- Have the ability to gain and retain the client confidence
- Have sound working knowledge of all appropriate electronic research facilities.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you.
We want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please telephone us on +44 (0)20 7953 6873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.