Job Title: Software Engineer
Location: Aberdeen or Portishead Office
Undertake the definition, development, testing and modification of software products in support of the company’s research and development activities and commercial deliveries. Produce technical documentation in accordance with company procedures. Provide support and mentoring to less experienced Software Developers/Engineers.
- Develop software products and solutions to customer requirements.
- Generate software product/system design documentation in accordance with company procedures, including (but not limited to) specifications, test procedures, block diagrams, schematics, manuals, Application Programming Interface(API) or any other documentation required for deliverables.
- Provide verbal and written progress reports to all levels of management within the business.
- Evaluate current and new software technologies as well as their potential benefits and use case applications through research and testing.
- Support the preparation and filing of patent disclosures/applications by identifying novel technology and writing the initial idea descriptions.
- Support Agile software development processes as part of the development team.
- Work to defined project specifications, budgets and timescales.
- Support general tendering and marketing activities, as and when required.
- Support and assist in testing and commissioning, both on-site and off-site.
- Work to relevant international standards and best practice guidelines as required.
- Undertake obligations in accordance with ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 as detailed in the Operations Manual. Recognise requirements for Industry Standards as relevant to work scope.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach to work ethic.
- Deal with day to day queries from customers/suppliers and employees throughout the business network.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Hons Degree or equivalent in a suitable engineering discipline.
- Knowledge/ experience of Java, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Jquery, Azure, AWS, RESTful, API, JSON, SQL, Hadoop, MongoDB
- Experience of Agile methodologies (Scrum and TDD)
- Broad experience working as part of an Engineering team and in a development environment.
- General understanding and/or appreciation of software development principles.
- Familiar with relevant software design and quality standards.
- Proven capability in delivering engineering packages of work to customer requirements
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Occasional travel to client/supplier premises and/or other company sites.