Application Deadline: Midday, Wed 02 DEC 2020
Interview/Audition date: Week beginning Mon 07 DEC 2020
Summary of Organisation
The Bhavan is the largest centre of classical Indian arts education in the UK. It aims to promote the teaching and understanding of Indian art and culture as an integral part of the culture of the UK. Its unique centre in West Kensington has studios and classrooms for the teaching of over 20 different cultural subjects and a 290-seat theatre where we present 100 public events and performances each year.
The Education Coordinator will play a central role in the planning, administration and delivery of The Bhavan’s educational programme. You will take ownership of a broad range of Indian cultural activities including Music, Dance, Languages, Fine-Art and Yoga. We are looking for someone capable of responding proactively and with passion to the changing landscape of Arts education in the UK.
Since the COVID-19 lockdown, our online education programme has grown to 100 classes each week and experience of delivering activities to all age groups in an online format would be advantageous. You will be as comfortable forging new partnerships in the community and industry as you are speaking to teachers, parents and students. You will play a key role in the development of The Bhavan’s future development and strategy.
- Coordinate the delivery of The Bhavan’s in-house and outreach educational activities and projects.
- Act as a point of administrative support and liaison for teachers, students and parents.
- Drive expansion of The Bhavan’s online teaching programme to be best in class.
- In partnership with teachers, staff and external technical providers, create a body of learning materials for online classes.
- Formulate new academic partnerships with artists, community organisations, academic organisations and industry partners.
- Support applications for funding by providing narrative text, data and media.
- Support the development of The Bhavan’s long-term Education strategy and ensure alignment of Educational activities with organisational and funding objectives.
- Participate in data-capture, monitoring and internal/external evaluations and reporting.
- Any other duties as required.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Strong understanding of both Indian and Western arts education systems.
- High level of attainment in at least one Indian Arts practice (preferably dance and/or music).
- Strong understanding of the opportunities and challenges opportunities facing Indian Arts practitioners in the UK.
- Good understanding of the online-learning landscape.
- Able to plan and deliver new creative projects from conception to completion.
- Able to plan and manage task outsourcing.
- Demonstrable experience of initiating and maintaining professional partnerships.
- Ability to represent The Bhavan in public where necessary.
- Understanding of school safeguarding.
- Strong English skills – all classes and internal communications are in English.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Interest in and experience of multiple Indian cultural art forms.
- A can-do attitude that befits a performing-arts organisation.
- Ability to see new opportunities and present a case for their development.
- Knowledge of The Bhavan and its activities.
- Knowledge of Arts funding in the UK and the Arts Council’s programmes in particular.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A knowledge of at least two Indian languages including Hindi.
- Ability to create useful reports from data.
Location and Availability
Once The Bhavan re-opens for public activities, the Education Coordinator will work from our West Kensington premises. Weekend working will be required to meet with teachers, parents and visiting artists. While the COVID-19 lockdown is in operation, it is anticipated that the post-holder will generally work from home, although some on-site presence may still be necessary.
Please note, we are unable to accept applications from candidates based outside of the UK at this time. If shortlisted, you will need to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK at interview.
We expect all staff to follow internal policy on COVID-19 safety while in the building or on Bhavan business.
First interviews will be held via ZOOM on Wednesday 9th Dec 2020. It is anticipated that the post holder will start in Jan 2021.
The Bhavan is a diverse-led organisation and values diversity in society and the workplace. We are committed to creating a team that includes a diversity of skills, experiences and abilities and we actively encourage BAME and disabled applicants to apply.
The Bhavan is committed to making all reasonable accommodations to ensure the post is accessible to as diverse a community as possible.