Position Title: Editor, Global Guides
Position Type:Maternity Cover
The role will primarily comprise content development, technical legal editing, copy editing, proofreading, sub-editing and managing the online publication of legal know-how articles as part of the global guides to the law. In addition, the editor will write support material for the guides, and is responsible for the development and overall project management of individual global guides. The editor will report to the Head of Editorial for the Practical Law Global Guides.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Developing and improving global guides and global guide content, working with internal web service editors, external counsel and editorial boards.
The technical legal editing and editing into plain English of legal know-how articles on a range of topics for publication in guides promoting the knowledge and expertise of the contributing lawyers, ensuring that the text is both legally coherent, consistent and accessible.
Managing the publication of the global guides from development to publication, working with other teams (including marketing, sales and production) to ensure that guides are published in accordance with the publication schedule.
Promoting and integrating the global guides within Practical Law’s wider web services and to Practical Law’s subscribers and other users, including writing short articles and developing comparison tables.
Conducting focused research into specific areas of law and legal developments across different jurisdictions to build a working knowledge of current themes and issues in relevant practice areas and to assist the sales team in identifying ‘hot topic’ articles for inclusion in guides.
Proofreading and checking the accuracy of publications.
Using in-house electronic publishing packages
Essential Skills and Experience Required:
- Good legal knowledge and excellent written English.
- Excellent IT skills using Microsoft Office and other applications.
- Fast and accurate keyboard skills.
- To be able to follow instructions, but also possess the ability to work as part of a close knit team and be able to use own initiative.
- Be able to see other people's points of view and take on board feedback.
- Positive attitude and “can do” approach.
- Show excellent team spirit.
- Good time and project management skills. Ability to prioritise a varied workload and co-ordinate work from different sources.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to build relationships internally and externally.
Desired Skills and Experience Required:
- Experience in publishing and / or editorial.
- Degree level, ideally no less than 2.1 (law degree, or non-law degree if the GDL or equivalent has been completed)
- Completion of the LPC, BPTC or equivalent legal professional qualification.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Edinburgh-United Kingdom;West Yorkshire-United Kingdom;London-United Kingdom