Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The EU/RoW Medical Affairs organization is transforming two distinct Therapeutic Areas in Hematology Oncology and Sleep, both are critical to the long term success of Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Primary Objective/ Purpose of Position:
- The Director of MSL Excellence is accountable for strengthening MSL capability across the EU/RoW region including an expert engagement framework, guidance documents, core measures of MSL impact and performance
- The individual will partner with Country leadership and directly support MSL managers to form an industry leading MSL community, including the establishment of a new Sleep Disorder MSL team
- The individual will be responsible for assessing and addressing the disease and product related knowledge gaps of MSLs working in Hematology/Oncology, and Sleep.
- Implement MSL standards and best practice
- Establish and maintain a set of regional standards for MSL activities and external expert engagement
- Establish and embed MSL capabilities including a Medical Engagement Framework
- Establish measures to demonstrate the impact and medical value of MSL interactions
- Share external MSL trends to inform compliance guidance and ensure that Jazz Pharmaceuticals is continually innovating across EU/RoW
- Align processes to support MSL activities and tailor content to match KOL needs (e.g. External Expert engagement plans, HCP speaker training)
- Seek to optimise appropriate ways of working with cross functional partners such as Key Account Managers, office based Medical Affairs, Market Access and Clinical Operations
- Lead and deliver case scenarios and other best practices
- Partner with US Medical Affairs to share best practice
- Seek to pilot and innovate with new technologies and digital platforms to optimise field medical activities (Virtual scientific exchange,1:1, Groups Meetings etc)
- Create and maintain a regional MSL Community to enable sharing of Best Practices, Lessons Learned and other relevant information
- Partner with GMs, CMDs and MSL teams to identify and assess risk of MSL activities and recommending effective controls and processes
- Partner with Country leadership and directly support MSL managers to form an industry leading MSL community, including the establishment of a new Sleep Disorder MSL team
- Provide guidance on MSL resourcing including sizing, structure and optimal timelines for deployment
- Support Launch Excellence initiatives, processes, tools and training
- Assure appropriate structure for MSL programs in terms of reporting, management training and career development
- Partner with Director of Commercial Excellence to evaluate and harmonise appropriate effective MSL related systems, tools and processes, incorporating relevant medical measures into these systems
- Create a process to gather external expert insight on disease and treatment related issues and ensure this is translated into appropriate action
- Create processes for evidence based KOL identification and segmentation, improved medical value proposition; and getting real time KOL feedback to improve future engagement.
- Develop the strategy and plans for scientific knowledge and skills development for the MSL function
- Collaborate with EU/RoW Medical Directors and Country Medical Directors to embed comprehensive Therapeutic Area scientific content into MSL training and MSL related materials
- Develop and maintain standards for training in collaboration with Country Medical Directors and local MSL Managers
- Identify and utilize knowledge transfer technologies to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of medical training
- Address MSL medical knowledge gaps through a training needs assessment and effective training curricula
- Anticipate future leadership development needs and partner with EU & ROW Learning & Development Lead to deliver targeted training
- This role will be “Hands on” and “in the field with the MSLs” with up to 50% of time focused on developing MSLs and MSL manager capabilities in external engagement, identifying and triaging action
- Reports to Vice President, Head of Medical Affairs, EU/RoW
- No direct reports
Knowledge/Education/Previous Experience Required:
- Degree in health or life science related discipline (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD)
- Significant experience in an MSL organization
- Leadership experience in medical affairs, preferably an MSL organization
- Direct managerial experience of individuals, preferably an MSL group
- Previously led change management initiatives
- Developed and implemented successful strategies and medical affairs programs
- Proven track record of launching new medicines in country and across geographies
- Experience in above country or global medical affairs activities, ideally ex US/EU
- High level of understanding of Medical Affairs governance processes
- High degree of professionalism, integrity and collaboration required.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Travel Required
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Working knowledge of industry codes of practice and pharmaceutical medicine training
Description of Physical Demands
- Responsibilities may require working outside of “normal” hours, in order to meet business demands.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.