- One of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 90,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances
- Loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional")
- Rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!
Make a difference
It's an exciting time at FreeAgent. We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and new government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products and experiences for our customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on designing the best possible experience for our growing customer base.
Creating the best place to work
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, which is why we stick to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
As a member of our product design team, you'll be working on the core FreeAgent application, designing new features or improving old ones and collaborating with the development team and our users to make FreeAgent better than ever.
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll be in the driving seat! From using using pencil and paper to draft rapid lo-fi prototypes for new features or product improvements.
- Refining prototypes in your graphic editor of choice (we like Sketch) and presenting your ideas to the team.
- Create functioning prototypes to test workflows with our users
- You’ll be there every step of the way - working alongside the engineers to implement features in our codebase and pushing forward our design system.
- You’ll always be looking to drive the FreeAgent product forward - digging into behavioural data to understand how people are using the features we design.
- Working collaboratively with other designers and colleagues across the business to deliver towards our company objectives.
- You'll need to be comfortable having your work critiqued, and collaborating closely with fellow designers and engineers.
This would be a great role for you if you have worked as a product designer in an agency, as a successful freelancer or as an in-house designer.
You’ll be able to demonstrate:
- A track record of designing user interfaces for complex applications, translating user requirements into elegant, usable solutions.
- Knowledge of best practices with regard to web standards, usability and accessibility.
- Knowledge of fundamental UX techniques including user testing, wireframing, prototyping, interaction flows and information architecture.
- Strong visual design skills
- Experience working with developers using HTML and CSS.
- Confidence to work with engineers to implement new features within our website and application frameworks.
FreeAgent’s product designers form part of a wider design team that also includes communications designers and UX researchers. We work closely together, share work often and collaborate across teams. As a product designer at FreeAgent you’ll be expected to champion your work and be prepared to explain and promote your ideas.
Front and centre to our work, we strive tirelessly to create the very best experience for our customers. We'll encourage you to be brave, take risks and fail without fear, because we believe in the value of the journey and in learning by making. It’s fast-paced at times, but it’s always fun!
Extra kudos / Bonus points
- We’re looking to grow our design team for mobile so an understanding of the iOS and Android platforms is a huge plus.
- You’ll be working alongside our UX Researchers - This means that while having some experience with conducting user research is great, we’re primarily looking for you to be a keen advocate of working with Research.
£36,000 - £48,000 per annum depending on experience, plus we provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple; please include:
- A CV
- A design portfolio is a must have, and we like ones that feature case studies. We’d love to hear about your work not just see it.
- You may have work out there in the wild that you can point at to help us see what really interests you as a designer.
Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a video call with the Design team, and a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team, and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent are reflecting our diverse customer base and bringing with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions, and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!