Development Tools Engineer
Posting Date: Jul 31, 2019
Primary Location: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-Glasgow
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
ETS Provides a reliable, secure and agile technical platform for Morgan Stanley’s business applications and operations. ETS enables business operations and delivers collaboration and productivity tools to our internal and external clients. ETS provides production management, quality assurance, and end user services for Institutional Securities and Support Services and delivers first-line defences to manage the IT risks to the Firm, address the evolving cyber threat landscape, and meet regulatory expectations. ETS also works with Investment Banking to manage the Firm’s strategic relationships with the technology community, including venture capitalists, established technology companies, and start-ups.
The MSDE (Morgan Stanley Development Environment) Engineering team is responsible for all aspects of managing and maintaining a set of enterprise hosted developer enablement tools that are used throughout Morgan Stanley’s global IT development community.
These tools, open source and 3rd party vendor, are hosted within the Morgan Stanley infrastructure, in a high availability configuration, and are used by thousands of developers on a daily basis. They include tools such as SCM (Perforce and Git/Bitbucket), Issue Tracking (Jira), CI (Jenkins and TeamCity), Artifact Repositories (Artifactory), and Code Quality (Sonar).
The engineering team is responsible for deploying these tools into the Morgan Stanley environment, and integrating them with both our infrastructure and other tools. Team members manage and maintain these products, tuning them for high performance, upgrading them to the latest releases, introducing additional functionality and providing engineering escalation support.
Members of the team will be expected to work closely with the development community on day to day usage of the products, as well our internal development team, and the offshore support team that provides first line support. Team members will also be expected to work with the infrastructure provisioning teams, such as UnixOps and DBA, on regular basis, to exploit the Morgan Stanley environment, and internal infrastructure tooling.
Candidates will have the technical skills required to support these products on a Linux platform, and have knowledge of web hosting, infrastructure such as Apache, Tomcat, VCS and SAN, have experience at performance tuning and trouble shooting. Some knowledge of databases, development and SDLC practices, and windows servers are all desirable.
- Technical evaluation and deployment of enterprise hosted development enablement tools into the Morgan Stanley environment.
- Documentation and knowledge transfers to peers and operations teams
- Conducting major upgrades to existing enterprise hosted products
- Building, maintaining and supporting infrastructure around the products to aid in enterprise use
- Troubleshooting performance and stability issues with enterprise hosted services.
- Liaising with users of our products in the IT developer space, to ensure that they are getting the most out the MSDE product set.
- Working with the MSDE operations and development teams on day to day issues.
- Working with Enterprise Infrastructure teams
- Planning and carrying out scheduled activities within the firm change approval framework
- Write scripts to automate various tasks
- Strong Linux SA type skills
- Experience with web app hosting technology, such as Apache and Tomcat
- Knowledge of infrastructure such as SAN and VCS
- Strong scripting skills, as Python, Perl and Unix scripting
- Knowledge of database and simple to intermediate SQL
- Strong knowledge in SOAP and REST services (API)
- Knowledge of security/authentication layers such as Kerberos, SiteMinder or SPNEGO and SSL Certs
- Basic knowledge of Load balancing and Networking
- Experience with performance troubleshooting and resolution
- SCM knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of issue tracking type tools
- Experience of CI systems such as Jenkins
- Experience of working in a large enterprise environment
- Knowledge of Java and C++ development
- Knowledge of SDLC practices
- Knowledge of software development, deployment, change and release management processes in an enterprise environment
- Experience of working with 3rd party vendors
- Identifies, assesses, and manages risks to ensure successful achievement of deliverables
- Proven analytical and problem resolution skills
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. #LI-FM1
|Learn more about our culture and the opportunities for professional growth at Morgan Stanley in Glasgow on our LinkedIn page and Youtube channel.|
|Build a career with impact. Apply today.|