Principal Mechanical Test Engineer
Competitive Salary – Depending on experience
Working Hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Friday's 8.30am - 1.30pm (Flexitime after probation).
OLEO International a trading division of TA Savery & Co Limited is a World leader in the design and manufacture of safety critical equipment used in a wide range of applications in the Rail, Elevator and Industrial sectors.
Due to substantial growth and increased demand for our energy absorption products, an exciting opportunity has materialised for an experienced Mechanical Test Engineer to join our development team based in Coventry. You will be joining a company that has been involved in the testing of energy absorption equipment for over forty years and will be exposed to our unique / in-house test rigs / environments, which are UKAS accredited.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Mechanical Test Engineer will be responsible for designing, modifying and commissioning test systems for testing energy absorption products. The role will require you to work within a team, providing technical expertise to existing Technicians and Engineers.
You will be responsible for covering all aspects of test development including; requirements definition, test process validation and hardware specification. You’ll be part of the T.A. Savery & Co Ltd. UKAS accredited test team that is expanding to deliver greater capability and to verify Oleo International Ltd.’s product ranges.
Mechanical Test Engineer Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform product tests and analyse results, ensuring accuracy of testing activities.
- Produce robust rig designs for new products.
- Design test set-ups & rigs including control and data-acquisition using appropriate tools (e.g. DASYlab, Labview).
- Conduct testing; including static, quasi-static, dynamic, durability & environmental of high load products.
- Complete bespoke testing in accordance with new requirements for the rail and elevator industries.
- Drive continuous improvement in laboratory related activities.
- Ensure the accurate recording of test information and maintain test documentation.
- Extract process and analyse raw test data as required.
- Apply relevant statistical techniques to test data (DoE, SPC).
- Monitor test rig condition for safety and performance.
- Perform preventative maintenance on instrumentation / control systems and calibrate test instruments as required.
- Conduct and report conformity testing.
- Partake in design reviews and assist in DFMEA reviews.
- Identify and advise Engineers on product manufacturing and performance issues.
Mechanical Test Engineer Key Requirements:
- Possess a Mechanical Engineering qualification.
- Practical experience working within a mechanical / product testing environment.
- Experience of setting up and monitoring mechanical tests such as strength, durability and environmental.
- Possess a practical knowledge of electronic measurement and logging equipment such as load cells, accelerometers, LVDT's and amplifiers along with calibrating measuring equipment.
- Experience in hydraulic rig design / specifying using PLC’s and safety systems would be advantageous.
- Proficient in extracting, processing and analysing test data.
- Experience of working within an ISO17025 / UKAS accredited environment would be an advantage.
OLEO International is an equal opportunities Employer.