Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 11,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East.
Design Engineering Manager – Thermal Management
Birmingham, West Midlands and then Coventry, West Midlands
Reports directly to:
Reports functionally to:
The Design Engineering Manager will be working with our established teams in Birmingham and Coventry, this role will be initially be based in Birmingham and be pivotal in moving the engineering team, systems and procedures to our new green field Ansty Park Coventry facility which consolidates our businesses ─ Aircraft Braking Systems, Control Systems, Customer Services & Support and Corporate Shared Services ─ within a world-class aerospace engineering and technology environment.Link - https://www.meggitt.com/news/130-million-investment-in-facility-in-the-midlands-announced/
Strategic business unit:
Meggitt Control Systems is a leading supplier of fire protection and control, pneumatic, fluid control, thermal management and electro-mechanical equipment and sub-systems. Some nine facilities are located in the USA and UK, with repair stations in the UK, USA and Singapore.
Products: Aerospace valves - Bleed, ECS, anti-icing, fuel, solenoid, engine case-cooling, mixing and starter valves; and air-oil separators and Retimet filters. Thermal management - Tubular and plate-and-fin heat exchangers. High pressure ducting - High pressure ducting, flexible joints. AS1424 metallic hoses. Electro-mechanical products - Fans, motors, compressors, controllers and specialist pumps. Energy - Industrial fuel and bleed air control valves; ground fuelling products. Safety systems - Aircraft fire protection and control systems.
- Reporting to the Engineering Director, you will lead a team of design engineers to drive the deliverables of a number of projects within an integrated program team. Accountable for the delivery of engineering technical solutions to budget and schedule.
- To design and develop Aircraft Engine Heat Exchangers with associated components & systems in accordance with company, customer and regulatory requirements.
- To oversee and manage workload and priorities within the Design Team relating to our 3 customer demands (Operational support, NPI & New Technology).
- Become the lead authority to sign on behalf of the company concessions and airworthiness documentation etc. Ensuring adoption of the very best engineering team management practices to govern and deliver programmes to plan.
- Leading a team of Design engineers with an appropriate mix of skills to deliver engineering solutions
- Providing technical leadership and direction to the team
- Defining, delegating and reporting status of the work packages & tasks
- Organising and participating in Technical Reviews throughout each phase of the New Product Introduction process. Ensuring that all necessary follow up actions are taken
- Identifying project risk, mitigation actions and contingency plans
- Maintaining the engineering quality and integrity of the work produced
- Leading and managing the engineering input into all the customer meetings such as Initial Technical Coordination Meeting, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, First Article Inspection and program reviews
- Leading design to cost and manufacturability activities
- Establishing and maintaining engineering metrics to produce engineering deliverables, on time, on budget and to technical performance criteria
- Communicating effectively and professionally with customers and suppliers and to manage data transfer
- Ensure, in conjunction with the designer, that designs comply with all appropriate customer and regulatory requirements (e.g. CAA, FAA, MOD).
- Develop and drive use of Technical Review checklist, Lesson Learned Log and associated process.
- Determine standard working methods for the Engineering Department
- Review/approval of final design and drawings prior to official release
- Review/approval of Engineering Change Request
- Monitor ECR process to progress changes in a timely manner
- Support the Operations, Quality, Aftermarket and Facility Maintenance teams with technical support to assist in the smooth running of the business.
- Ensure all company procedures and standards relating to the Design Office are up to date and incorporated in drawing/documentation preparation.
- Motivate others, and in particular direct reports, to achieve and stretch goals in line with departmental, business and programme targets.
- Advise on the most appropriate tools and procedures, and encourage the use of DFx (particularly Design for manufacture & assembly).
- Visit customers, UK and Overseas for technical reviews, giving presentations, and making decisions on behalf of the company.
- Manage PTC suite of CAD software & PLM tools.
- Control and manage labour utilisation within the department in accordance with the requirements of customer programmes, internal projects and departmental tasks
- Manage the Performance Management Process through appraisals with all members of the Engineering Department. Monitor and assess agreed targets and arrange for identified training needs to be fulfilled
- Identify the skills and capabilities required for the Engineering Department members to complete their allocated tasks, arrange training where individuals abilities do not meet requirements
- Develop the Engineering Departments facilities, hardware and software to enable fulfilment of allocated tasks
- Develop appropriate synergies with other engineering functions within the business.
Primary working relationships & interfaces:
- Engineering Management team, Project and Design Engineers, Maintenance & Manufacturing Engineering, Operations and Aftermarket (R&O). Team Leaders / Managers relevant to tests and calibration. Customers, external test facilities UK and abroad.
Key skills and competencies required:
Experience leading an engineering team in a matrix organization
Customer facing experience
Experience of and confidence to challenge other disciplines e.g Ops, NPI, manufacturing and quality
Experience of monitoring and delivering a technical project plan
Knowledge of manufacturing systems, assembly & test
Mechanical or Fluid design experience is essential
Problem solving (Route cause and correction)
Management of a design team or leadership of a design team experience and ready to step up
Proven engineering capability and experience to create effective engineered solutions
B/MEng Degree qualified, chartered engineer (eg; IMechE) or equivalent
CAD experience (PTC Creo preferred)
Understanding of configuration and change management
PTC Creo preferred
Lateral thinking and problem solving skills are essential
Reporting skills with a good knowledge of Word and Excel are essential
High work ethic & desire to learn and impart learning within the team
Proven ability to interact at all levels with Internal and External functions; suppliers & customers
Previous experience of managing remote teams / design engineering offload (India)
Aerospace/Industrial fluid systems
Awareness of the certification framework within which the work is undertaken
<5% overseas travel anticipated
Role will be based out of the Birmingham Tyseley site with support in our Coventry factory