Go-Ahead London is the largest bus company in the capital. We employ over 6,000 drivers operating approximately 2000 buses, from our 16 depots in South, North and East London.
We have a unique and exciting opportunity for Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) Drivers, at our Sutton garage. This is an innovative trial of new technology, which involves customers booking their trips on a mobile app, with the bus then ‘dynamically’ routed to pick them up from their chosen location, while collecting other passengers along the way. The driver will follow instructions via a computer tablet to navigate. The vehicles used will be 13 seater Mercedes Sprinter minibuses.
If you are someone who is keen to work with the public but keen to try something other than the routine nine to five, then we could have the ideal job for you delivering a brand new type of bus service in your local area. Our customers rightly expect our drivers to get them safely to their destination, however this is more than just a driving job; it’s all about dealing with our customers face to face, welcoming them on board, answering their questions or queries and keeping them up to date with information that may affect their journey.
This new service will be a 7 day operation and you will be expected to work five days per week on a shift system between the hours of 06.00 and 22.00. However, a flexible approach to shifts is required and a certain amount of driving ‘standard’ TfL bus routes will be expected at our Sutton garage and possibly other local garages. Given the nature of the DRT service, a good geographical knowledge of Sutton and the surrounding areas is essential as the route you will take will vary from trip to trip using roads that are not served by traditional bus routes.
WE CAN OFFER:
To apply for this position you must hold a vaild category D entitelement (PCV licence), if you do have the category D licence we can offer a very attractive package that includes:
- Starting rate of £12.64 per hour (average weekly earnings of up to £500)
- Guaranteed service related pay increases taking your hourly rate to £15.91 (average weekly earnings £600+)
- PCV holders can join on higher starting rates subject to producing their Licence for London (LfL) that confirms their length of service from their current Transport for London bus operator. In addition, those of you who come to us with an LfL, will also receive a holiday entitlement that will reflect that service to!
- Opportunities to increase earnings further with overtime, which is paid at enhanced hourly rates
- Genuine opportunities for career development
- Concessionary travel benefits for you and your partner* on London's Buses, London Underground, Overground, DLR and Tramlink. (*after three months service)
- Contributory pension scheme
Our workforce rightly reflects the communities we serve, however, we are keen to increase the number of female staff, as we feel they are under represented.
The trial will be for a minimum of twelve months. If the trial is not continued, you will be placed onto regular bus service work at either Sutton or another local garage (such as Merton or Croydon).
- The safety and comfort of your passengers is paramount at all times
- Engage with our customers in a tactful and professional manner including answering any questions they may have about their journey
- Keeping our customers informed/updated by making announcements using the public address system fitted to our vehicles
- Ensuring that your bus is fit for service at the start of your duty
- Ensuring that passengers have the correct means to pay for their journey
- Maintaining the schedule on the route
- Comply with company rules and regulations
- Competently and safely follow instructions on the cab based navigational equipment, whilst communicating effectively, by phone and text message with the operatives of the control centre
- UK driving licence with the category D entitlement
- No more than 6 Penalty points on your licence (contact us before applying if you have had a Drink/Drive conviction)
- Able to meet the DVLA medical standards to hold a PCV (category D entitlement) licence
- Numerate and literate and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Confident in using various new technologies, such as Computer Tablets and Apps
- The right to live/work in the United Kingdom