Salary: £48,965 - £60,635 Internal Terms and Conditions apply for Civil Servant applicants
Contract type: Permanent
Grade: Cabinet Office Band A / Grade 7
Hours: 37 per week (excluding lunch)
Working pattern: flexible working, full-time, part-time, job share
Location: The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS
Closing date for applications: 11th December 2019
Who we are
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is part of the Cabinet Office. We lead the digital transformation of the UK government so that it works better for everyone. Our work is user-focused, dynamic and forward-looking, making our organisation an exciting and innovative place to work.
Find out more at the GDS Blog.
What you’ll do
The successful candidate will oversee all creative projects and be responsible for the overall quality of work produced by the Creative and Channels team. You will be expected to lead, supervise and inspire the creative team, prioritising the team’s workload to ensure they are aligned to wider GDS priorities.
As a Creative & Channel Team Leader you’ll:
- leadership: Embodying the behaviours outlined in the Civil Service Leadership Statement, setting direction and inspiring the team to deliver communications products that adhere to the highest standards, ensuring content is aligned with communications objectives. Act as a leader within GDS and develop and maintain effective working relationships across the Government Communications Service (GCS), working collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders to achieve shared business goals. with internal and external stakeholders, positively influencing behaviour and identifying and negotiating resolutions to difficult issues.
- creative and editorial standards: own and drive forward GDS’s creative editorial standards, ensuring all content produced adheres to them. Continually iterate these to reflect best practice and alignment with wider design principles and accessibility
- channel management: ensure the blogging platform works for our users and plan new functionality with the GOV.UK team. Work with content producers and campaigns team to commission, edit, develop, and produce content for GDS channels, including commission of evergreen content. Be a digital evangelist within GDS and wider government and provide expert advice on the use of digital channels within GDS and wider government
- content production: manage and oversee the team’s overall content production, including concepts, copy-writing, filming and editing, that help showcase and celebrate the best of GDS. This will mean both day-to-day supervision and longer term strategy to ensure that the team has the right structure and capabilities in place to excel.
- supplier management: develop and maintain supplier relationships with third-party creative, production and design companies, as well as internal creative resources.
Who you are
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative leader who will direct and drive the creative communications output of the Communications and Engagement team.
Working closely with colleagues across GDS, particularly with the Strategic Communications & Engagement team, you will provide a strategic steer on your team’s priorities, and be responsible for managing and delivering all creative projects. You will be responsible for setting the creative approach and quality of the work produced by your team, and build and implement strong project management rigour to your team’s work. You will be expected to be a creative problem-solver, using the latest innovations and trends to inform your team’s output.
You will be working in a fast-paced environment, able to grasp a variety of fast moving, often nuanced and complex policies quickly and effectively. You will cope comfortably with ambiguity and thrive on being creative and innovative.
We’re interested in people who have:
- extensive demonstrable experience in leading a creative team, including, social media experts and creative content producers, with strong oversight for output and quality
- strong personal leadership, able to inspire and set direction for your team and others
- strong written and verbal communications, including stakeholder management skills, and experience of working directly with, and influencing, senior colleagues
- excellent project management skills, with hands on experience of delivering digital, film and print projects in a fast-paced, high quality environment, balancing multiple projects simultaneously
- working experience of content management systems, particularly Wordpress technical support and working to develop and improve the user experience through product development
- knowledge of how data and analytics can be used to improve the performance of our corporate channels
- demonstrable experience in people and performance management and business planning
- experience in applying creative ideas and insight to shape and deliver multi channel communications campaigns
It is desirable that you have:
- experience in a creative management position within the creative, digital or advertising industry
What we value
Openness, collaboration, innovation and passion are at the core of our culture. We trust each other to do our best work. We believe in our mission and work for the whole population. We can only do that by being an inclusive and diverse organisation.
In the Civil Service, we use our Success Profiles. For each role we advertise we consider what you will need to demonstrate to be successful.
This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
We will be looking at your experience, career history and achievements that are relevant to the specific job role.
For this role we will be assessing your, the following behaviours are the most relevant:
- seeing the big picture
- communicating and influencing
- collaborating and partnering
- managing a quality service
How to apply
Using the Apply link, please review the job description and submit both a CV and cover letter that outlines relevant experience and skills. Please ensure your letter reflects the reasons why you would like the role. Your application will be assessed against the essential criteria within the skills and experience section. Civil Service Behaviours will be assessed at interview.