Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Nuclear Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations. Under the three-year contract, which started from April 2017, Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
We are looking to add an experienced Cost Engineer to the team who will be responsible for providing cost management & Financial support to the EDF Energy Nuclear Generation work portfolio and will monitor, control and forecast the costs during the Project lifecycle. This will involve conducting Financial transactions in SAP.
- Control, monitor, analyse and report cost related aspects for designated projects within a Portfolio.
- Implement the correct and appropriate cost management tool for the project in accordance with CTO Programme Office processes/templates.
- Assist in development of and use of Project Control Structures (CBS, OBS, WBS etc.).
- Understand the basis of the estimate.
- Ensure all cost and contract transactions on a project are understood and managed in an appropriate way.
- Deliver SAP transactional tasks such as: -
- Goods Receipts
- Reincidencing of Shuffle Budgets
- Ensure all variances to the cost baseline are communicated in a timely manner.
- Ensure the necessary cost management interface is in place with Finance and ensure regular communications.
- Support the EDF Energy Business Planning process.
- Active involvement in the change process, understanding the reasons for and factors influencing each change to the project’s cost baseline plus the implications of such change.
- Continually monitor Project Risk and Change status to maintain current forecast.
- Review and understand, with the assistance of the Planning Engineer, the schedule progress and it’s alignment to the Project Control Structure.
- Liaise with Project team members and contractors with regards to progress and financial forecasting.
- Update the Cost Tool to comply with Project Reporting Cycles.
- Monitor, control and analyse the project cost information, identify variances and bring these to the attention of the Project Manager with possible alternatives. Prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project’s specific needs.
- Challenge cost variances against the baseline plan with individual task leaders/contractors and/or outside stakeholder management as necessary to enable mitigation.
- Contribute to progress meetings as required in support of the Project Manager.
- Regular interfacing and integration with the project Planning Engineer to maintain an aligned financial position with the project Primavera plan.
- Contribute to the drafting and updating of Project Documents (PDD, IRM papers etc.) to ensure that they contains the project Scope of Work, KPI’s, payment milestones and the methodology for controlling the project schedule, costs and variances etc.
- Contribute to Lessons Learnt process throughout the Project lifecycle.
- Working knowledge of SAP and ability to perform transactional tasks.
- Previous experience in a finance/accounting role
- HND/HNC in a cost related discipline or relevant experience
- Good attention to detail and time management skills
- Experienced in the use of SAP finance and Project modules
- High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills
- ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work
- Evidence of a strong engineering background
- Understanding of Earned Value Analysis
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.