Corporate – Legal – Litigation lawyer – Vice President
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world. Further information about J.P. Morgan is available atwww.jpmorgan.com.[GLC1]
The JPMorgan Chase legal Department advises the JPMorgan Chase business areas around the world. This role is for a litigation lawyer who will form part of the EMEA Litigation group, covering all of the business areas within the Bank.
The successful candidate will be a part of the EMEA Litigation team with significant responsibility and a lead role managing – and working with the business units and line of business lawyers to handle – litigation, arbitration, internal reviews and contentious regulatory matters and investigations, as well as providing pre-litigation advice and counselling the business on any contentious matter in the EMEA region.
- Managing litigation, contentious regulatory matters and disputes, either as stand-alone matters with the relevant line of business lawyer or as part of a wider team including outside Counsel.
- Instructing outside Counsel including managing the dispute, reviewing draft documents and formulating strategy.
- Working closely with the business to assess risk, develop strategy and formulate our approach.
- Conducting internal reviews of code of conduct violations relating to regulatory rules and obligations.
- Dealing with regulatory enquiries in conjunction with the Compliance Department.
- Reporting to and briefing senior members of the business and the Legal department in both EMEA and the United States, including giving updates and providing advice.
- Advising the business on handling complaints and disputes that may arise pre-litigation.
- Assisting with queries from the business on transactions including on jurisdiction clauses, indemnity clauses and wider concerns regarding potential disputes.
- Ability and willingness to assist with HR law matters.
- Updating reports and internal databases as necessary regarding current disputes.
- 5 or more years PQE from a law firm with banking litigation or contentious regulatory experience, or equivalent experience within a legal department of a large financial institution.
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction
- Contentious regulatory experience
- Experience of running cases with limited supervision is preferred.
- Fluency in other European languages would be an advantage.
Personal Attributes Required:
- Excellent relationship management and people skills – ability to get along with a broad mix of people and personality styles. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships within Legal and with clients, and ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to provide firm guidance on complex and sensitive issues with the appropriate balance of commercial risk.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and a flexible attitude to work and colleague coverage.
Strategic thinker with good business understanding and excellent analytical skills with due attention to detail.
Ability to think on feet, multitask and prioritise. Capable of working independently and efficiently.
The confidence and gravitas to advise senior management and influence individuals within the organisation. A confident presenter.
The ability to recognise and manage challenge from internal clients.
Ability to respond to business issues with workable solutions often under critical time pressure.
About J.P. Morgan Chase & Co:
J.P. Morgan serves one of the largest client franchises in the world. Our clients include corporations, institutional investors, hedge funds, governments and affluent individuals in more than 100 countries. J.P. Morgan is part of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.1 trillion. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase serves millions of clients and consumers under its JPMorgan and Chase, and WaMu brands.
“JPMorgan Chase & Co. offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of the UK Government’s Disability Confident Scheme.”