- Requisition ID: 223161, Control of Work Specialist
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain & maintain required SC security clearance
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi—billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The Control of Work Specialist will report to the Control of Work Supervisor and, via a matrix reporting line, to the GBU Functional Manager of Construction.
- Operates and maintains effective Permit to Work system from the construction site Work Control Centre covering all aspects of Work Authorisation, including specific permitting for higher hazard construction operations, including;
- Hot work
- Confined Space Entry
- Isolations (LOTO)
- Provides work authorisation planning, permit building, permit validation and issue (including on-site verification of safe state), permit re-validation / re-issue and permit closeout (including on-site verification of safe state at task completion).
- The role requires relentless discipline and focus in a busy environment, holding the authority to authorise / withhold authorisation to progress tasks – and the careful application of that authority.
- Works closely with Bechtel construction supervision to assure due checks on safe systems of work (contractor method statements and risk assessments and/or standard operating procedures) have been fully reviewed – in advance of the permit build.
- Actively participates in Plan of the Day and weekly/monthly lookahead meetings with Construction Management and Contractors to micro-manage sequencing of construction and commissioning work, deconflicting operations as necessary.
- Works closely with Bechtel Construction and ES&H teams, Client teams and Contractors to ensure continued compliance to agreed and permitted safe systems of work.
- Responds to developing requirements at interfaces between the construction activity and the operating site. Supports all emergency planning requirements.
- Actively engages in tool box talks, behavioural safety observation reporting, lessons learned and other techniques supporting leading safety indicators.
- Collates ES&H management information in support of Bechtel and Client requirements.
- Implements and enforces policies, Work Process Procedures (WPP), permits and related work rules as established by field construction management.
- Prepares reports and forecasts, as required, and keeps supervisors informed of issues with permit compliance/completion
- Ensures Zero Incident policy, health, safety and environmental standards and requirements are implemented and adhered to by craftsmen and others in the operational area, tools and equipment are in safe condition and operated safely.
- Education and training in general engineering or courses in construction technology
- Work experience in craft or technical positions
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Knowledge of multi-discipline construction or engineering operation relating to field activities.
- Computer literate in spreadsheet and other standard applications.
- Experience of operating Permit to Work systems on busy sites in high hazard industries.
- Working knowledge of UK H&S regulations and practices.
- Working knowledge of environmental regulation and work practices.
- Good verbal communicator, including listening skills.
- UK Nuclear/Defence site experience.
- Familiarity with Bechtel Construction and ES&H processes including Hazardous Work Permits, Hot Work Permits, LOTO, Permit to Dig etc.
- Familiar with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP).
- Familiar with Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPPs), Nuclear Work Process Procedures (NWPPs), and/or Nuclear Operating Plant Work Process Procedures (PWPPs).
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.