Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Employer of Choice:
Abbott Legal offers interesting, challenging, and rewarding work that encompasses a diverse portfolio of products – from consumer products to innovative medical technologies. We provide the opportunity to interact with customers and colleagues from around the world. Like the Abbott businesses we support, Abbott Legal is a dynamic organization; and we are committed to developing our employees to meet the evolving needs of the company.
Abbott is regarded as an employer of choice for our commitment to workplace excellence. Our employees are given the tools to succeed, lead and grow, with challenging opportunities and work that makes a difference. Discover a world of opportunities at Abbott.
The Paralegal / Contract Specialist, EMEA provides legal services and resolves legal matters for assigned responsibilities or clients primarily in Europe, with occasional support for other parts of EMEA.
The job responsibilities include the following:
- Supports the business in the achievement of business objectives by communicating advice of the Legal Department and managing legal risks.
- Identifies moderately complex legal issues related to assigned matters; develops alternatives and implements solutions
- Provides substantive legal work that requires knowledge of legal concepts including legal analysis, drafting, negotiation, and consulting.
- Possesses solid knowledge of Abbott’s businesses and knowledge of its broader business impact.
- Assist in preparation and negotiation of commercial contracts and agreements with distributors, hospitals, group purchasing organizations, suppliers, governmental entities and health care professionals
- Serve as a primary point of contact for certain contracts for internal customers and external stakeholders
- Negotiate and redline deviations from standard templates
- Draft contract language to address unique situations/concerns as requested
- May serve as a central point of contact for certain commercial and supplier contracts for the organization
- Provides assistance in drafting and reviewing other types of commercial and supplier contracts as needed.
- Will maintain positive relations for the International Legal Operations team with all divisions, outside attorneys and professionals, business partners, customers, consultants (including physicians), vendors and the general public as needed
- Identify training needs and assist in development and presentation of training and education regarding legal requirements and developments
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with: Abbott business, its people, products, markets, facilities, customers, and competitors and use this knowledge in providing guidance and counsel to Abbott’s business
- Advises the regional attorneys in EMEA (primarily Europe) on contract matters and legal analysis
- Education of clients on basics of contracting and use of self-service template.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience of standard commercial contracting
- Understands terms and forms of contracts; can draft routine or moderately complex documents for review by supervisors; ability to think critically about the organizations business objectives during contract drafting; able to assist in follow up negotiations on contract and commercial issues
- Previous work experience as a corporate paralegal or related experience with a multinational/Fortune 500 company or law firm
- Expertise in Microsoft Office products and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong process and analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage competing priorities while ensuring timely completion and follow up
- Must be adept at follow up and team work
- Dynamic, proactive and mature
- Self-starter with strong bias for action and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment and discretion with confidential matters
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Advanced degree or certification in law, paralegal studies, a health care-related field, management information sciences and/or business.
- Commercial legal and/or regulatory experience, and, medical device, pharmaceutical or other health care business experience, and/or hospital/health system experience.
As you’d expect from a global healthcare company, we offer a fantastic range of benefits including competitive salaries, a superb defined contribution pension scheme, private healthcare, life assurance and a flexible benefits scheme.
JOB FAMILY:Operations & Business Support
DIVISION:GENC General Counsel
LOCATION:United Kingdom > Maidenhead : Abbott House
TRAVEL:Yes, 10 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Not Applicable