What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The brand engagement and communications team manages the Markel brand, both internally and externally. The department is responsible for internal and external communications through employee engagement initiatives, media relations, digital presence including social media channels and sponsorship. The department is responsible for the strategic direction and governance of the corporate brand in partnership with the corporate marketing and communications team. This role carries out copywriting for internal and external communication channels, social media management as well as support on any press activities.
Duties and accountabilities
- Copywriting for internal and external communications channels across Markel International
- Social media management including content creation, planning and scheduling
- Working with the business to curate content such as articles, email campaigns, videos, imagery, web copy for internal and external communication channels
- Channel management and reporting
- Work alongside the head of communication to manage press activities including the drafting and distribution of press releases, building and maintaining a strong network of journalists, seeking and coordinating media opportunities, dealing with press enquiries, news hijacking and pitching ideas to journalists
- Working with the head of communication and Markel’s crisis communications agency to manage any potential PR crises
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Have experience in a social content or copywriting role
- Previous experience in PR or press industry
- A creative flair with words and an appreciation for good imagery and visualisation
- A good understanding of how to apply brand and tone of voice
- Meticulous eye for detail with ability to adapt content to suit different audiences and channels
- Experience using a breadth of marketing channels, including, social media and email marketing
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of social media platforms and their nuances
- Experience building relationships with stakeholders at all business levels
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we
want to hear from you.
We want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please email email@example.com
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.