The Construction Safety Specialist will be responsible for on-site safety coordination domestically and internationally in manufacturing and construction settings; while assisting the EHS manager with developing EHS programs and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in planning and implementing safety policies and procedures with local, state, & federal EPA/ OSHA rules and regulations.
- Assist in building a structured health and safety ownership and accountability program within the company by standardizing and communicating clearly defined safety regulations on-site.
- Assist in providing oversight for worker’s compensation case management on-site.
- Provide continuous evaluation of risks on-site.
- Generate fall protection written procedures, risk assessments, and inspections.
- Write LOTO and confined space machine specific procedures on-site.
- Assist in driving continuous improvement through safety analyses, audits, and investigations.
- Assist in coordinating the daily activities of safety in support of the operations team.
- Support construction activities both domestically and internationally with procedure development and training.
- Provide solutions to complex environmental, safety, health and security issues serving as a safety leader on-site
- Provide appropriate safety and health, incident prevention, and investigation training for managers and supervisors on-site.
- Assist management in the inspection of workplaces and project sites to assure safe and healthy conditions for workers on-site.
- Assist management and supervisors in investigating incidents and developing measures to prevent recurrences on-site.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of safety regulations domestically and internationally, and customer specific safety requirements.
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 75% per year and in four (4) weeks duration, with ten (10) day turnarounds.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employees and contractors at all locations.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Update the compliance tasks list and ensure compliance with critical preventative maintenance calendar updates.
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas. Shift work may be required as production demands change.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will regularly be required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk and hear. Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / ABILITY / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. is required.
- Three (3) to seven (7) years of experience in EHS related field is required.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal EPA/OSHA, State, and local regulations in both general industry and construction. International and construction experience with safety regulations is a plus.
- Must possess broad technical expertise, business and industry knowledge, and process and people leadership capabilities.
- Ability to effectively communicate and train on EHS fundamentals.
- Excellent planning, organization, and communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills including First Aid/CPR, Six Sigma and ISO 14001 Lead Auditor.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, clients, vendors, and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Roeslein & Associate’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.