Costain is seeking a Construction Manager to develop and implement project strategy and delivery programme, ensure effective communication and implementation to deliver the project on time, ensure regular monitoring and reporting on progress, and instigate corrective actions as required. It is equally as important in this role to manage the operational aspects of the project to achieve the budget, review performance against targets and identify and manage potential risks and opportunities, manage project handover and ensure completion. We have a number of Construction Manager roles across our business, in various locations across the South West
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate the following
- Strong leadership skills with outcome focused collaborative behaviours
- Act as a lead team member managing the contractors work, providing construction supervision and management services, and documentation of project requirements
- Ensure the Contractor’s construction methods, procedures and practices are properly complied with in all respects, particularly those relating to quality assurance, safety, personnel and industrial relations
- Review and monitor contractor compliance for proposed construction safety and are complying with their own project quality plans
- Ensure Contractor and all personnel working on the site comply with the Base security policies
- Inspect work and reviewing progress, prepare payment recommendations as well as other cost control and claim correspondence associated with the construction contract
- Prepare regular construction progress updates, including planned construction schedules provided by the contractor
- Conducting and documenting regular progress meetings with contractor, designer, and owner representatives
- Administer of construction contracts, as applicable, including supporting the management of change
- Support the evaluation and preparation of construction bid documents including technical specifications, cost and schedule estimates, project risks and mitigation measures, and constructability reviews
This opportunity is South West Based, but working from home initially.
To be successful in this role you will need the following
- Proven track record in complex project delivery, in defence (preferred) or similar technical sectors
- Strong client and stakeholder relationship building skills
- Demonstrable knowledge and application of construction management methodologies
- Ability to operate both autonomously and as part of a larger team
- Flexibility to travel and work in different sectors and clients
- Excellent oral and written communication and organisation skills
- Essential soft skills include, leadership, flexibility, self-motivation, effective listening, persuasion, creativity, collaborative style, insightfulness
- Computer literacy in Microsoft applications
- Working knowledge of construction management software and tools
- Must have existing MOD security clearance (SC or higher) and hold a UK passport
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Construction management qualifications (e.g. CITB - Site Management and Safety Training or equivalent)
- Full UK driving licence
- Proven track record in project delivery, preferably in the defence sector or similar technical sectors
- Ability to work with and manage external suppliers
- Commercial awareness
- Working knowledge of project management software and toolsets
When applying, please include your latest CV, and location preferences in your application.
You will be required to hold / be able to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.