12 month fixed term contract (maternity cover)
Main purpose of the role
To provide and manage the business acceptance of all new clients and matters which involves providing a conflict checking service to the whole firm, screening new business for sanctions, compliance with anti-money laundering requirements, and communicating with the partnership. To ensure that new client documentation meets compliance requirements. To train members of the Firm on an ongoing basis and to respond to their day to day queries. To support the Risk and Compliance legal team in ensuring compliance with the firm’s legal and professional requirements by providing information and insight as necessary.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Risk management: conflict checking
- Understanding of rules around conflicts and experience of applying them
- Shared responsibility for providing the conflict checking service to the firm world-wide
- Handle conflict checks requests to an agreed standard using Microsoft Dynamics AX, and other databases as required
- Assist in maintenance of conflicts database
- Maintain related documentation
- Use IT skills to search external commercial databases
- Ensure that conflict check matters are accurately finalised
- Maintain Global Address Book party index on the conflicts database
- Searching commercial products to identify ownership and corporate structures
- Dealing with day to day queries from the Conflicts team and legal and business services staff in relation to ongoing conflicts requests and escalating to the Risk & Compliance legal team where necessary.
Risk Management: compliance for new clients
- Understanding of rules around anti-money laundering and experience of applying them to client take-on
- Consider CDD implications of related parties to a matter and the substance of the matter / matter risk assessment from all offices and liaising with AML team where applicable.
- Perform anti-terrorist and sanctions checks for each new client
- Researching and identifying PEPs and high risk clients by creating an online profile.
- Store evidence in FileSite in line with regulatory requirements
- Undertake data quality checks for new clients: industry sectors, client names, duplicates
- Ensuring that partners properly complete their risk profile requirements in the firm’s onboarding system.
- Attributing a risk rating to the matter and escalating the client to the AML Team where a decision needs to be made upon analysis of documentation and risk.
- Recording all AML documentation, communications and risk rating in the firm’s client onboarding system, together with a summary of conclusions reached and steps taken.
- Carrying out due diligence on third-party payers in line with the firm’s policy.
Education / Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or have relevant specialist qualifications
- Minimum of two A levels or NVQ equivalent
- GCSE in English Language and Mathematics and a science
Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Ability to develop knowledge, in legal processes and terminology, business resources
- Attain familiarity with client base
- Business research skills
- An understanding of the conflict rules
- A basic understanding of money laundering and KYC (Know your client) regulation
- Broad IT skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics AX and InterAction and workflow desirable