Compliance Testing Officer - Manager or AVP
Posting Date: Sep 21, 2020
Primary Location: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-Glasgow
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Director
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The EMEA Legal and Compliance Department is charged with day-to-day oversight and coordination of the Firm’s compliance with core regulatory requirements covering all businesses including Institutional Sales and Trading (fixed income, commodities, equities), Investment Banking, Global Capital Markets, Research and Investment Management across the EMEA region
As a member of the EMEA Compliance Testing Team, you will help to deliver the Compliance Department’s Testing Plan, which provides independent assurance that the Firm is meeting its regulatory obligations and has controls in place to reasonably mitigate compliance risk. The purpose of Testing is to conduct independent, backward-looking, point-in-time assessments to provide assurance that compliance procedures, processes and controls are reasonably designed and working effectively.
The Testing programme covers the EMEA Sales & Trading businesses, Investment Banking, Global Capital Markets, Research, and Investment Management. The Testing Team also reviews projects and processes run by the Compliance Department.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of a suite of Compliance Tests across the business units covered by the EMEA Compliance Testing programme and in line with the role and purpose of the Compliance Testing function. Focus on the key compliance risks and take a proportionate approach to scoping tests and completing testing efficiently to make the best use of available resources,
- Coordinate the investigation and escalation of potential Issues and document appropriate remedial actions. Manage closure verification of actions following completion,
- Understand and provide expertise on Compliance Testing policy and procedures, including in relation to scoping, sampling, Quality Assurance, and documentation,
- Prepare aspects of Compliance Testing management information on the work and findings of EMEA Compliance Testing
- Help enhance the Compliance testing programme as it evolves, liaising with the EMEA Compliance Coverage teams and relevant global teams and contributing to global discussions on testing matters and sharing best practice.
The candidate will report into the EMEA Head of Compliance Testing.
Skills required (essential)
- Excellent presentation skills - ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Previous experience of Sales & Trading, Investment Banking, and/or Investment Management, whether through Compliance experience or working within the business or other support functions. Prior experience of Compliance Testing useful but not essential.
- Ability to identify the key compliance risks in the area subject to testing and to think creatively about how these risks might manifest in practice and how a test could seek to identify this.
- Good analytical and numerical skills, able to learn new concepts (for example reviewing trade data, looking for trends and exceptions).
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with members of the Compliance Department and employees across the business units and control functions, challenging information received or decision made in a constructive way.
- Broad understanding of the FCA and PRA Handbooks and the approach of regulators in EMEA and globally, with particular focus on US regulators.
- Attention to detail and proactive. Confidence to use own initiative and apply judgment.
- Ability to manage delivery of a suite of tests and work programmes
- Ability to be effective under pressure.
- Enthusiasm and aspiration to learn and develop.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.Learn more about our culture and the opportunities for professional growth at Morgan Stanley in Glasgow on our LinkedIn page and Youtube channel.
Source : Morgan Stanley