We’re Norton Rose Fulbright – a global law firm with over 50 offices and 7,000 employees worldwide.
The Norton Rose Fulbright Global Compliance Team is led by a Global Head of Compliance (based in the Australia) who is supported by a Head of Compliance in each of the five Norton Rose Fulbright Member Firms (based in London, Canada, South Africa, Australia and the US). The Head of Compliance for each Member Firm is assisted by a compliance team in their location comprising compliance lawyers, officers and assistants.
As a global law firm, Norton Rose Fulbright is required to comply with a range of laws, regulations and professional rules in each jurisdiction that we practise. Failure to comply could be a breach of professional standards rules or a criminal, or in some cases civil, offence. The Global Compliance Team is responsible for overseeing compliance with those laws and regulations in order to avoid penalties and damage to our reputation that would result from a breach.
The role will be based in Newcastle and report to the Senior Client Acceptance Manager based in London. The Firm’s business acceptance work covers two primary areas: Client Due Diligence (CDD) and conflicts management. This role will focus predominantly focus on CDD and related core risk assessment tasks. The successful candidate will:
- Independently carry out CDD on new and existing low and medium risk clients of the firm;
- Carry out and document risk assessments on new and existing low and medium risk clients of the firm;
- Screen new and existing clients for increased risk indicators, including but not limited to, sanctions exposure, PEP exposure and reputational and financial risk exposure;
- Escalate clients posing perceived increased risks to the Senior Client Acceptance Manager and make recommendations as to the appropriate risk mitigation (where possible);
- Take ownership of new business intake matters, carrying out the full risk analysis and liaising with the various stakeholders to the matter, including Partners and associates, communicating the progess of the matter at all stages to the interested parties;
- Work to develop an understanding of the Firm’s key strategic objectives, ensuring that new business intake is in line with the global strategy of the Firm and compliant with our existing client base from a legal and commercial standpoint;
- Advise fee earners and PAs on the Firm’s policies and procedures;
- Have an understanding of, and be able to explain to fee earners and PAs, what information is required to comply with the various applicable regulations and firm policies;
- Ensuring that the regulations (such as AML Directives; sanctions; SRA Code of Conduct) are adhered to within the Firm; and
- (as required) Liaise with members of EMEA Compliance Team as well asCompliance Teams based at other Norton Rose Fulbright Member Firms to resolve compliance issues.
Skills and Experience Required
- Degree in business, law or related subject (desirable).
- At least 1 year’s experience working in a business, legal or related professional services firm.
- Have an interest in Risk and Compliance with a key interest in developing knowledge of the commercial, political and risk issues affecting our business.
- Excellent Computer skills with an ability to switch between different database interfaces and online tools.
- Excellent aptitude for research and familiarity with online research tools.
- Ability to critically evaluate a number of different sources, identifying the key risk issues.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise different work streams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to operate within a global team.
At Norton Rose Fulbright encourage workforce diversity in all aspects and at all levels and in doing so create an environment where everyone can realise their full potential and career ambitions on the basis of merit and skill. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives us forward every day. Find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at here.
Norton Rose Fulbright is an equal opportunities employer. We want our application process to be open to everyone, so if you are unable to apply for a position online or require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process – even if you’re not sure what adjustments you might need – please contact our Recruitment team on EMEARecruitment@nortonrosefulbright.com